Computer abnormally slow/sometimes gets stuck on Windows is Starting

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I couldn't find any other thread that was as specific as my problem and I didn't know where to post this, so please tell me if I need to move this thread.
So, my computer was built by me in November, just to give some background, and has been working mostly fine since then. Three weeks ago I left to work on a film set and my computer was off the whole time. I just came back yesterday and turned it on, but it was extremely slow and most programs wouldn't even turn on. Media Player and Internet Explorer were able to start up but then would freeze up and shut down after I clicked a few things or started typing....Then when I tried to restart the computer it would get stuck on the Windows is Starting Up screen or on the login screen. Several times I went into StartUp Repair but it couldn't fix anything. Now it only turns on all the way sometimes and it is still practically unusable when it's on... I have no idea what's causing this as it was fine before I left and the first time I turn it on when I get back it's already like this....I'm clueless, but hopefully you guys might have some insight.

My computer:
asus p8p67
8gb corsair vengeance
750gb western digital caviar black
windows 7 64-bit
sapphire 6950

Solution
You need to look in the event viewer to see the results. Try looking under "system" events.

If you want, you can run a chkdks c: /f /r to do a full sector scan, but this takes time and is probably best to let it run overnight so as not to tie up your computer during the day.

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

Okay, running it now. I will update you when it is done. Thanks!

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Well, it didn't show any results afterward...but it seems like it's working better. Still not as fast as normal, still slow...but at least things are opening and I can use it......I'll let it run for a day and see if I run into more problems and then I'll close or readdress this thread...

You need to look in the event viewer to see the results. Try looking under "system" events.

If you want, you can run a chkdks c: /f /r to do a full sector scan, but this takes time and is probably best to let it run overnight so as not to tie up your computer during the day.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS