Question Computer blank screening on launch at 144hz

Jan 18, 2023
So I closed a game on my PC today after a normal gaming session. Ran fine, but when I closed the game my computer black screened. It happens, so I alt tabbed. Blank screen. Alt tab didn't work, ctrl alt delete didn't work. Weird bug, I restarted. Blank screen on launch. Happened again, so I unplugged the PC and replugged it in after I turned it off. It worked!

But I tried to see if it was a one time issue. It wasn't. This time I reseated my GPU and that did the trick, but the issue persisted even after I reinstalled my GPU drivers. Nothing funny was in my system event viewer. I didn't check other logs there though.

It was then I decided to see my display settings for my PC since a post I saw told me if my hz when at desktop wasn't 60hz, that may be the issue. It was 60hz. My pea brain said "maybe the opposite is true. If I make it 144hz that might fix it."

Well, now my PC is basically bricked. When I boot, it goes immediately to a blank black screen. Unplugging, repeating gpu didn't help.

I would say that I'm 99% sure it's a software, probably driver issue or something. Nothing like this has ever happened before, and my computer is a fairly decent gaming PC I got about 2 years ago. Rtx 2070, I9 9990KF, 32gb ddr4 ram.

I do have the most recent Nvidia drivers, but reinstalling them didn't help. I should have rolled them back, but didn't get to try it before I screwed myself. My computer did however work fine full-screen gaming aside. Alt tabbing a video game in full screen borderless was fine, but straight up full screen was what produced the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you if you've read this far

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
so you can't even get BIOS splash screen?
if not, then it's most likely more of a hardware than software issue because the BIOS doesn't care about drivers or refresh rates or none of that like an operating system does. It just uses the GPU in strict old school VGA mode with basic graphics output and low resolution so if you can't even get BIOS to come up, then either the GPU or the motherboard is bad.

Jan 18, 2023
so you can't even get BIOS splash screen?
if not, then it's most likely more of a hardware than software issue because the BIOS doesn't care about drivers or refresh rates or none of that like an operating system does. It just uses the GPU in strict old school VGA mode with basic graphics output and low resolution so if you can't even get BIOS to come up, then either the GPU or the motherboard is bad.

Yeah thank you. It could certainly be the case. I've decided to take it to a repair shop tomorrow in the hopes someone smarter than I can diagnose the issue and with luck fix it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah thank you. It could certainly be the case. I've decided to take it to a repair shop tomorrow in the hopes someone smarter than I can diagnose the issue and with luck fix it.
Be extremely careful with repair shops. They lie about <Mod Edit> all the time, and other times they just have incompetent employees.
There was this one time I was having issues with my previous build back when where I couldn't get it to post, and after personal testing and diagnosis, I narrowed it down to a few things, with the most likely culprit logically being the RAM was bad (it was older and used), but I didn't have any extra RAM to test with to find out if it was the RAM or the slots on the motherboard (which have also gone bad on me before) so I took it to a local place with great reviews, left it with them specifically telling them to test the RAM and slots for me, they said I had to leave it with them for a couple days, and when I came to pick it up and get my diagnosis they told me the graphics card was bad and needed to be replaced.
They were wrong. It was a still perfectly functional 1080 Ti from EVGA (which I continued to use until some time ago when I sold it off as part of my old system).
I just got the money together and went with my gut and bought some new RAM and sure enough, I was right. It was the RAM. They didn't test <Mod Edit> like I told them to and then had the audacity to try and tell me my 1080 Ti was dead.

So yeah, don't 100% trust repair shops to be smart, or legit about anything.
Make sure your diagnosis is free, and if you have to, take it around to a few different places unless the first place you take it to can 100% confirm it's the card or slot by testing that right in front of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS