Question Computer boots, BIOS screen appears, goes into black screen.

Dec 11, 2020
Hello Community! Last night everything was working, watching the Game Awards till late night, turned off my PC as usual and went to sleep. Woke up today, turned on the PC and now i have problems.
So i immediately notice, that the moment i press the power on button, the system is quickly to boot, which seemed to me a bit odd. It usually takes 1-2 seconds to hear the fan spinnings, but now it's instantly happening the moment i press power on button. It does the standard 1 short beep.
BIOS logo and text appears, but won't register any keyboard inputs to access any of the BIOS menus. It beeps short once, one more time while BIOS logos still on screen. After around 20-30 seconds, it beeps shortly once again, and goes into a black screen. I can still hear the fan spinnings, and shortly sometimes i hear the HDD "working". Then it just stays at this black screen forever.
When it's in this black screen state, i can press the power button and it will immediately shut off, so i can guess it's not even "found" or booted windows.

This is what I've tried, but with no helpful results:
  • Unplugging, cleaning and re-plug the RAM sticks, tried with only 1 stick plugged as well.
  • CMOS Battery reset and complete replacement with fresh new battery.
  • Tried booting with integrated GPU via the HDMI port directly from Motherboard ( Doesn't even give a signal to monitor)
  • Unplugging storage HDD and booting only with SSD that has Windows installed.
  • Took all USB devices out and booted without any devices + only booted with Keyboard inserted.
  • Disconnect DVD Drive and try booting without the drive connected.
  • Tried booting with HDMI into my TV instead, weirdly enough no signal at all when using a TV.
It worked perfectly 10 hours before this morning, something happened overnight after a normal shut down.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 (x64-bit OS)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M--D3H
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4hz
GPU: GTX 970 Strix
RAM: 2x 8gb Kingston DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair tx850w

PC is old, but I've always taken good care of it, new thermal paste and recently upgrade from gtx 670 to gtx 970 a few months back. Never had a problem like this, happened overnight. I did for the first time on this PC, play Cyberpunk 2077. It worked fine, no crashes, acceptable performance. So i don't suspect anything to do with that. There was an windows update 2 days ago as well, but nothing seemed odd to me throughout yesterdays use. From my experience, i would think it was my SSD with windows installed? Either SSD dead or corrupted windows, since it can boot, show BIOS but just doesn't get anywhere from there.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020
Hello Community! Last night everything was working, watching the Game Awards till late night, turned off my PC as usual and went to sleep. Woke up today, turned on the PC and now i have problems.
So i immediately notice, that the moment i press the power on button, the system is quickly to boot, which seemed to me a bit odd. It usually takes 1-2 seconds to hear the fan spinnings, but now it's instantly happening the moment i press power on button. It does the standard 1 short beep.
BIOS logo and text appears, but won't register any keyboard inputs to access any of the BIOS menus. It beeps short once, one more time while BIOS logos still on screen. After around 20-30 seconds, it beeps shortly once again, and goes into a black screen. I can still hear the fan spinnings, and shortly sometimes i hear the HDD "working". Then it just stays at this black screen forever.
When it's in this black screen state, i can press the power button and it will immediately shut off, so i can guess it's not even "found" or booted windows.

This is what I've tried, but with no helpful results:
  • Unplugging, cleaning and re-plug the RAM sticks, tried with only 1 stick plugged as well.
  • CMOS Battery reset and complete replacement with fresh new battery.
  • Tried booting with integrated GPU via the HDMI port directly from Motherboard ( Doesn't even give a signal to monitor)
  • Unplugging storage HDD and booting only with SSD that has Windows installed.
  • Took all USB devices out and booted without any devices + only booted with Keyboard inserted.
  • Disconnect DVD Drive and try booting without the drive connected.
  • Tried booting with HDMI into my TV instead, weirdly enough no signal at all when using a TV.
It worked perfectly 10 hours before this morning, something happened overnight after a normal shut down.

Specs:
Windows 10
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M--D3H
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.6hz
GPU: GTX 970 Strix
RAM: 2x 8gb kingston DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair tx850w

PC is old, but I've always taken good care of it, new thermal paste and recently upgrade from gtx 670 to gtx 970 a few months back. Never had a problem like this, happened overnight. I did for the first time on this PC, play Cyberpunk 2077. It worked fine, no crashes, acceptable performance. So i don't suspect anything to do with that. There was an windows update 2 days ago as well, but nothing seemed odd to me throughout yesterdays use. From my experience, i would think it was my SSD with windows installed? Either SSD dead or corrupted windows, since it can boot, show BIOS but just doesn't get anywhere from there.
A quick update. So what I didn't notice before, is that all fans start spinning when i power it up. But 2 or 3 seconds after, the GPU fans stop spinning, but every other fan around the case is still spinning. The LED light just above my PCI-e port is still lit, even when the PC is powered off, so there is power going through to the GPU.

Dec 11, 2020
A quick update. So what I didn't notice before, is that all fans start spinning when i power it up. But 2 or 3 seconds after, the GPU fans stop spinning, but every other fan around the case is still spinning. The LED light just above my PCI-e port is still lit, even when the PC is powered off, so there is power going through to the GPU.
Update 2.0 -- So i did a complete CMOS reset again, took out my GPU and tried booting again with the integrated GPU only, and i got some progress. I got to the "BIOS has reset" screen, i choose to go default optimized settings and boot. Windows is still there, working and all my files are there and installed. So it's not a SSD/HDD or anything corrupted on windows install... Motherboard works fine i guess, since it can boot and still give display throughout the integrated graphics.

Now I'm starting to think, it might be a PSU problem.... It's kinda old and the only one of my hardwares that i haven't opened / cleaned / troubleshooted ever. Does this sound plausible to some experienced ppl / experts in here? Could it be that my PSU doesn't have enough power anymore, to feed all of this usage, which in result makes my PC going to black screen after BIOS logos?