Computer boots then hangs on black screen with mouse.

Parsnip

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello,
My computer is booting up to a black desktop screen where nothing shows up...it boots fine in safe mode though. Im guessing its some kind of driver issue? Its been working fine until today and then everything slowed and it eventually froze completely. Upon reboot, the black screen appeared.

g-unit1111

Titan

It's still probably a driver issue - try reinstalling your Windows drivers or updating your firmware from WD's main website. When I got this screen Windows was mainly saying that the primary HD drivers were missing and that's how I was able to fix it.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
First thing I would do is go into safe mode and then run msconfig and disable all Startup items. If that resolves it, start enabling them 2 or 3 at a time until you find the one causing the issue.

If that doesnt fix it, I would then start disabling non-MS services in msconfig 3 at a time until you find the one causing it.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you get a firmware update from WD's website it probably comes in .exe form so you can just launch that and it will update everything automatically.

If not - there's two things you can try.

1. Go into Windows Explorer in safe mode.
2. Right click "my computer".
3. Click on "Manage".
4. In disk management mode, right click the primary disk and click on "properties".
5. In the properties dialog click tab "Tools" then "Check drive for errors". That should launch a tool that will find the defective driver and replace it.

Alternately try this:

1. Go into Windows Explorer in safe mode w/ LAN enabled.
2. Right click C drive
3. Select properties
4. Click on "update driver". It should find the driver and reinstall it.

Parsnip

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Working on trying each of those steps...quick update : normalsafemode works fine but networking safemode does not..idk if that narrows down some of the options.

EDIT: good news! Msconfig worked, now i need to figuure out what service is causing the issue. Ill report back if I find it.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah some anti virus programs will screw up start-up procedures (Norton is horrible in this area, as is McAfee).