[SOLVED] Computer can't post and restarts after unplugging from power source for a certain time

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very weird situation, but I'll explain what's going on:

If I unplug my computer for a certain time, let's say I unplug it, take it on the balcony, remove case door and clean the computer, which I do once in a 3 months and when I plug it to power again, computer can't post and constantly restarts.

This has been happening for years. Today, I cleaned the computer and it happened again. When I was cleaning, I didn't remove anything inside, only case door and cleaned with dry cloth to remove dust, so basically I didn't do anything but unplugging it for 10-15 minutes. When I connected it to the power, it did the same thing. I removed one stick of RAM, tried again. Same.

Then I removed all sticks of RAM. Same. Then I removed GPU and connected monitor cable to the motherboard. Same. Then I didn't connect monitor cable at all. Same - fans starts moving, but restarts after few seconds. Then I removed all sata cables of my SSD and HDD disks. Still same. So, basically I removed everything, but it was still restarting.

Then I called my friend, who is more techie than me and works as IT guy. He told me this might be bios issue and told me to clear the CMOS and do something with jumper and told me to leave only 1 stick of RAM. I said ok and hung up the phone. I connected 1 stick of RAM and disks and before doing this CMOS thing, just in case I tried to turn on my machine again - connected power cable to it and clicked on a switch button.

It turned on! In the past, when this was happening, I thought I did this or that and that is what helped, but now I see it was a coincidence. So, in short, as I see after some certain time of unplugging my machine from power source causes this problem and then I need to wait a bit after this problematic restarts, unplug power cable and after few minutes, try again and it works.

I called my friend again and told him what happened and he said this more sounds like a bios problem. Now, before we make some conclusions, I need to mention something important that might be related to this problem: When I bought this CPU (it was years ago) and when I tried to install it myself (I'm not very techie guy), seems like I didn't install it well and damaged CPU legs a bit.

So, when I installed it at first and then tried to turn my PC on, if I remember correctly it was turning on, but there wasn't display signal on the monitor. I have a bad memory, but I think it was like that or maybe it was restarting, really don't remember well. Anyway, I took it to some electronics shop and they checked it and told me that I didn't put CPU very well in the socket and legs were bent and they fixed them and made it work.

After that I didn't have any problem and I don't remember if I was cleaning it or no, but I didn't have this problem. This problem started occurring after I upgraded my GPU. When I installed new GPU there was no screen and was the same problem with restarts. I really don't know if this new GPU caused this problem or it was just a coincidence, but GPU was brand new and today as I said, I removed it completely but PC was still restarting.

I'm thinking either this must be because of CPU damage when I damaged it legs and they fixed it, but maybe it's not completely fixed or maybe something is wrong with my PSU. It's one of the best brands and very powerful, good quality, but it's also old. I bought it years ago when it was intel 3rd generation CPUs era, or maybe this bios or battery thing, but my bios is flashed to the latest version.

Another problem I have in my computer is that time always goes ahead and can't sync time, but I have this problem for all 3 computers at home, which I think is coming from my router and not from battery. I don't know, what you guys think about this problem? What are your thoughts on all this?

[Moderator Note: edited text to break up single wall of text.]

CPU: Intel Core I7 3770k
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X
STORAGE: Crucial M500 SSD 120GB + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD + 4TB HDD
PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold)
COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
MONITOR: Philips 298P4 29" UltraWide
KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70
MOUSE: Logitech G502
MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010
SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C
HEADSET: Trust GXT 410 Rune Illuminated

Last edited by a moderator: