Computer completely freezes in regular mode and safe mode

dthi

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Hi all, and thank you in advance for looking.

So 2 days ago I booted up my PC and found a few of my defaults had been reset out of nowhere. Ok. I left it on for 30 mins and when I came back, the screen was black (it shuts off after 10 mins for power saving), but would not wake up. I tried switching the cables from the monitor to an HDMI but to no avail. The monitor light was steadily blinking but unresponsive. I did a manual restart, and it booted up normally, but after 5 minutes, completely froze up again, forcing another manual restart. In some cases, the num lock is still responive, and other times not. I noticed the "clr CMOS" light lit up in the back which seemed new to me. I pushed it and presumably reset my mobo to it's default settings. Honestly, it didn't help nor make the problem worse. I cannot use the computer, even for light browsing without it freezing up after a few minutes of use. After keeping it off for roughly 16 hours, it lasted longer before freezing, but froze nevertheless. Also, no BSOD's.

I tried starting in safe mode, but it froze in that as well. In addition, I attempted booting Ubuntu via a USB drive thinking it was the OS that was corrupted, but it froze there as well. At this point, I assume it's a hardware issue. I have been running a memtest scan for the previous hour and it has been fine - no freezing, no high temps or anything out of the ordinary.

I keep it clean and as dust free as possible inside, and measured the temperatures, with no component going over 45 degrees Celsius while idle. It's not overclocked, the fans are running as they normally have for the previous 2 years. The memtest scan has been running for an hour and a half now with no errors found, nor freezing, and it pushed it to about 97% RAM usage. I have completed multiple virus scans with different programs. All the drivers are up to date.

I'm running out of ideas on what else to try and would love any input. From everything I've noticed, it freezes regardless of the mode it is in, and only when I start moderately using it (i.e. web browsing, gaming, etc). I haven't flashed the bios, but from what I read, it's a possible fix, albeit a risky one if screwed up.

Edit: I decided to let the freeze run its course and see if it would fix itself, and after a good 10+ minutes, it did in fact unfreeze. And froze again 30 seconds later. I gave this freeze 20 minutes but no recovery. Still unsure of why. I have screenshots of my temp/voltage readings at the time of the freezings as well, from my semi-limited knowledge, nothing seems too high or out of the ordinary.

It's a custom PC built about 2 years old, with a fresh OS install about 3 months ago and an SSD about 7 8 months old. No new hardware since then.

Some specs:
Windows 8.1
ASRock 870 Extreme R2.0 mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 960T
8G RAM
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120G
AMD Radeon HD 6900 series

I don't have a recovery/installation CD either, but regardless, it feels like a hardware or heating issue.

If you need any additional details please let me know.

Thank you!

dthi

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Thanks Paul, both are very similar. I feel as if my voltages might have reset somehow, why or how after 2 years of solid work I don't know.

@Outlander I'll post what I have when I get off work shortly.

Thanks to both of you!

dthi

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
@ Outlander My psu is PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600 W

@ Shortstuff My temps did not go over 68 degrees C when the last freeze occurred according to hwmonitor.

My RAM is Corsair vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B, 2 sticks of 4GB each.

It looks like CPU overheating is causing the problem. Your CPU doesn't handle temps over 60C well. I think the technical MAX temp for the CPU is 71C, but you will see people run into stability issues with that CPU at temps of 65C+ if you search online. Are you running the stock CPU cooler? Have you made sure there is no dust buildup on the cooler? You could try buying some thermal paste, removing the cooler, cleaning off the old paste, and re-applying new paste to see if you can keep the CPU load temps under 60C.

dthi

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Thank you shortstuff. I think I worded my response poorly. The cpu doesn't go over 44 degrees C, but the gpu hits like 69.

Also as an update, I didn't realize my gpu had heat sinks inside it, so after lightly disassembling it and cleaning it thoroughly, the porblem seems to have been fixed. I was able to use it for a good 2 hours last night under heavy use with no freezing.

I'll uodate this if it happens again, and thank you all for the help!