[SOLVED] Computer Constantly Saying I Ran out of Video Memory?

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
My games are continuously crashing, whether it's a DX9,11, or 12 game. Either the game or my computer will (occasionally) tell me that I ran out of video memory. This is a recent issue, and I know my GPU is working fine, I tested it in another computer and it ran a game for an hour, no crashes. On mine, I can barely run one for twenty minutes. I also know I'm not running out of VRAM because I monitored it through AMD Link and my games barely use 17-30% of it.

My System
Mobo: MSI 970A Gaming Rev. 1
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: RX 580 (Sapphire, it had the best shroud)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600, 1.55V (They're rated for 1.5V but my mobo's bios won't let me go exactly to 1.5V. I just got these sticks, as my old ones died out, recently)
Liquid Cooling on CPU

4 Hard Disk Drives, various makes (mostly Seagate, one toshiba, I think. all 5200RPM)

Don't insult my system, I'm aware that 5200RPM is slow, but I really don't care about that. I know that the AM3+ chipset is outdated, I don't care. The FX8350 is a beast of a chip, I'm pretty sure I won the Silicon Lottery with this one. All of my games run tits.

The GPU is fairly new, nice, I've only had it for six months, never cooked.

My thought: I have to replace the Mobo. I'm almost certain that it has to be an issue with the mobo, I think I've exhausted almost every other possibility. Unfortunately, when I tried putting the GPU in the other PCI-e slot, the mobo yelled at me about not having video. I remember hearing that even recent GPU's haven't come close to maxing out the bandwidth on PCI-e slots, even in an x4 slot, but I guess my motherboard doesn't like it.

Edit: Currently on the most recent (optional) build of the Radeon drivers, so. Yes. My drivers are up to date.

Edit 2: if I do replace my mobo, I may go for the enthusiast 990FXA chipset, possibly the Gigabyte brand one. I have no intention of spending almost $500-1000 on upgrading to an AM4 chipset board, right now (the price including the new motherboard, an eight-core processor [no intention of losing cores, either], and 16GB of DDR4 RAM)

Edit 3: I have gone through 4 different driver versions for my GPU, from 19.3.1 through the most recent optional build, 19.7.1

Last edited:
Solution
TL;DR: Checked my pagefile, found there was nothing whatsoever, made a new one, things are not borked.

Alright. I did a lot of digging, and I appear to have fixed my problem. Recapping: The issue I was encountering was that my games (and several programs) were crashing after little more than 10-20 minutes of use. In fact, over the past couple days, it has gotten worse. Originally, as some of my crashes were C++ and VisStudio related, I thought it had to be something to do with the graphics card, especially as many of the crashes that had given me an error message (very far and few between) that pointed to video memory. So I spent a lot of time futzing with all of my graphics drivers and my card, and began slowly coming to...

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
TL;DR: Checked my pagefile, found there was nothing whatsoever, made a new one, things are not borked.

Alright. I did a lot of digging, and I appear to have fixed my problem. Recapping: The issue I was encountering was that my games (and several programs) were crashing after little more than 10-20 minutes of use. In fact, over the past couple days, it has gotten worse. Originally, as some of my crashes were C++ and VisStudio related, I thought it had to be something to do with the graphics card, especially as many of the crashes that had given me an error message (very far and few between) that pointed to video memory. So I spent a lot of time futzing with all of my graphics drivers and my card, and began slowly coming to the conclusion that, through the previous multiple reseatings I had to do to install a new cpu cooler (I had to lift my GPU off the board to get to some stuff, long story), something must have been borked my PCI-e slot. After posting here and getting some responses that less than satisfied me (I know you were trying to help, and I really appreciate it, but I had already messed with my drivers. I just had forgotten to add that to my original description), I started digging around and futzing with more stuff.

I tried to reinstall my Visual Studio redists, and that seemed to work for a cool minute. But after a night of being off, it was back to crashing. But instead of giving me 10 minutes, I was met with an immediate crash upon an attempt to render more complex shapes or colors or 3D images. So pretty much, when I left the menu, it died. But I was also having issues with non-graphics intensive programs (like firefox), so it started to lead me elsewhere. I began thinking I was having a RAM issue. So I started opening a lot of tabs. And I mean a LOT. At least. To me. I only keep 3-4 tabs open at any given time. So 20 is an insane amount, for me. The tabs I opened were random youtube videos. As I opened them all and pressed play, My firefox crashed around the 12th or so, not even having taken up much RAM at all, maybe 70% across all of my programs. This seemed ridiculous to me.

I thought back to rgd1101's post. And how he mentioned Virtual Memory. And I had to remind myself how memory worked... But, on a whim. I opened up my pagefile info. Lo' and behold: my pagefile had somehow been nuked to zero. There was no pagefile. I was pretty livid, I knew I had a pagefile. But either way, I added a nice 16gb pagefile (might be overkill, but hey, 32GB of "RAM"?), and boom. Things stopped crashing instantly. So... there's that. If anyone else is encountering an issue like this, please check to see that you have a pagefile.

Also, those developers are idiots. Those errors did indeed say video memory. Not virtual like my problem actually was.

Solution