[SOLVED] Computer crashes after ram speed is overclocked to its advertised ram.

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
I have been having a strange problem with the ram i have when i set it to its speed in bios in XMP
View: https://imgur.com/a/ekRKjIH

I have no idea if I'm overclocking this right or something is wrong but it seems to crash very randomly i play rust it sometimes crashes but 1 day it will not crash at all next day it will crash 2 times or just even once. its completely random i don't know if something is faulty but seem to only notice it when the ram is overclocked to its normal speed. also play rocket league not very intense game never had that game crash on me once also recorded a video stopped the recording the computer crashed that's happened twice - 'not with rocket league though'

Also noticed today that my computer when i turned it on turned back off for some weird reason so I'm really quite confused on do not know what to do any ideas? After today I'm just lost.

My computer - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/BeBlaze/saved/Bnyfyc

Solution
That sounds like a good plan. Sell the kits as you got them, separately, so the buyer(s) won't have any issues.
Sell them and get a 32GB kit.
If your old RAM doesn't work, you could sell one 16GB kit first , while having the other 16GB kit on the PC.
I noticed that you got two 16GB memory kits instead of getting one 32GB kit and that could be the reason your PC is crashing. A 32GB kit of the same G.Skill RAM cost even less than two separate kits.
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together.
Even though you have gotten two of the "exact same" kits, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different kits could have different IC chips.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one set to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

I suggest you return them and get a 32GB (2x16GB) kit..
Otherwise you might have to play with the timings, speed in the BIOS, until you find the best match for the two kits to work together...that could be time consuming, you could have to settle for lower speed and you might not even be successful .

Last edited:

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
I noticed that you got two 16GB memory kits instead of getting one 32GB kit and that could be the reason your PC is crashing. A 32GB kit of the same G.Skill RAM cost even less than two separate kits.
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together.
Even though you have gotten two of the "exact same" kits, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different kits could have different IC chips.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one set to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

I suggest you return them and get a 32GB (2x16GB) kit..
Otherwise you might have to play with the timings, speed in the BIOS, until you find the best match for the two kits to work together...that could be time consuming, you could have to settle for lower speed and you might not even be successful .
I have had them for nearly a year now, I don't think I'll be able to return them. but I thought they were always at its speed but realise they were not. Would be the best to sell them for people looking for 16gb ram? sell them separately? On like ebay or some or not worth it? Because in the mean time I can probably just use my other 16gb ram sticks in my old pc until they sell and I can buy 4x memory ram kit. This is my second computer build so I'm not that smart with pcs. Also got both of there original boxs they came in. Well them plastic things.

That sounds like a good plan. Sell the kits as you got them, separately, so the buyer(s) won't have any issues.
Sell them and get a 32GB kit.
If your old RAM doesn't work, you could sell one 16GB kit first , while having the other 16GB kit on the PC.

Solution