[SOLVED] Computer crashes during high end games

Aug 8, 2020
Hi!
For a while now I've been having issues with my computer crashing during games. My screen goes black and then my computer restarts. My computer doesn't crash during regular usage, only when playing high-intensity games

I'm not sure what causes these crashes. It happens in games such as Superliminal, Destiny 2, Sea of Thieves, Phasmophobia, DOOM Eternal, and Rust. The time it takes to crash my computer seems to vary.
I recently swapped out my RAM due to unrelated malfunctions, but I have had this issue for a good while now. I have also recently completely reset my operating system, including reinstalling it off of the disk.
My best guess is a hardware issue.

Motherboard: B450 Gaming Plus (MS-7B86)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Cores, 12 Logical Processors
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
4 8GB sticks of DDR4 RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
Corsair TX650M 650 Watt Power Supply

Thanks in advance, tell me if I need to post more information.

Aug 8, 2020
Have you tried only 2 sticks of ram in A2 and B2 slots ?
Is anything overclocked ? How are the temps ? Does it crash in benchmarks like 3dmark or prime95 ?
I previously only had two sticks of RAM, and I had the issue. I am not overclocking anything, and when I run programs that show my computer and CPU temperature, there are no abnormalities. I haven't done any benchmarks yet.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
I've heard that many people with AMD cards get that problem, i'm one of them too. The restarts are completely random. One time i may get to make heavy use of the pc for several days without turning it off and without any crash, and other times it can crash 2 or 3 times in a day. I think the problem is with the VRAM but i have no way to verify it. Drivers certainly don't seem to be the problem because it persists across all versions.
The strange thing is that this kind of crashing started when i switched from my old CPU to the 3600.

Last edited:

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
usually you would think heat, check all ya fans are clear and maybe monitor temps next time you are playing, take the side panel off for extra airflow, try a few little things before you go digging

Aug 8, 2020
usually you would think heat, check all ya fans are clear and maybe monitor temps next time you are playing, take the side panel off for extra airflow, try a few little things before you go digging
Here's a video of me testing a game that crashes my computer, which is Rust. I started recording ~2 minutes after the game started, and the game crashed 1 minute and 12 seconds after the recording finished.
dropbox link of the video
Not a computer guy so I don't know if there are any abnormalities.

madchemist83

Distinguished
Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear about your bios accident. Hopefully you can flash it again.
Your gpu is definitely toasty. What case do you have ? Fan setup, cpu cooler ?
Try userbench when you can but with two sticks in A2 and B2 positions. See if you see a difference

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear about your bios accident. Hopefully you can flash it again.
Your gpu is definitely toasty. What case do you have ? Fan setup, cpu cooler ?
Try userbench when you can but with two sticks in A2 and B2 positions. See if you see a difference
Alright, I've got a Corsair 220T RBG Mid-Tower Gaming Case. Apart from the CPU fan i've got 3 fans on the front. The CPU fan is the default one that comes with the Ryzen CPU, so it's called a 65W Wraith Stealth cooler. As for the fans on the case, they are 3 SP120 RGB PRO fans on the front. I'll definitely use userbench with two stick of RAM when I can

Aug 8, 2020
Blast the dust out of the components if you haven't done it already. Your case might need a little help getting the air out through the top or back.
Also when you do run userbenchmark enable xmp for your ram in bios, it's running at default frequency.
Ok, I have a can or two of compressed air for cleaning.

How do I enable xmp for my RAM? Will it increase my performance?

madchemist83

Distinguished
Another thing I noticed is that on your 1 Tb SSD you only have 39 Gb of free space. This will decrease performance. It's recommended to keep at least 10% free. Try moving something to another drive, then run disk check again for any errors and see if you have an improved speed.

So I see from the picture that you removed the front glass panel from the case, that was a good move. But then you are lacking some exit fans to remove the hot air out. With 3 intakes you could atleast add 2 more fans as exahust, 1 at the back and 1 at the top-rear (closest to the back as you can).

But as you wrote, first remove the side panel and check if the issue is gone (fix). If thats the case then you could try to add those 2 extra fans at the back/top.

Oh one last thig, have you check if the front fans are all set as intakes?, Ive seens some cases that came with the fans all in the wrong way.

Aug 8, 2020
Another thing I noticed is that on your 1 Tb SSD you only have 39 Gb of free space. This will decrease performance. It's recommended to keep at least 10% free. Try moving something to another drive, then run disk check again for any errors and see if you have an improved speed.
new userbenchmark test: link

So I see from the picture that you removed the front glass panel from the case, that was a good move. But then you are lacking some exit fans to remove the hot air out. With 3 intakes you could atleast add 2 more fans as exahust, 1 at the back and 1 at the top-rear (closest to the back as you can).

But as you wrote, first remove the side panel and check if the issue is gone (fix). If thats the case then you could try to add those 2 extra fans at the back/top.

Oh one last thig, have you check if the front fans are all set as intakes?, Ive seens some cases that came with the fans all in the wrong way.
Alright, i'll go ahead and test the games with no side panel.

The front fans are also definitely intakes

Reactions: RodroX

madchemist83

Distinguished
Interesting, looks like right before shutoff your gpu temps are going down. Slide that temperature limit all the way to the right. Also I noticed your fan speed doesn't change much. Is it set up on a custom curve. If so what's the curve ? Your gpu might just be limited by temperature and temp settings.

Reactions: RodroX