Question Computer crashes, screen freezes and loud noise ?

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Hello all.
Recently I’ve moved back to my friend’s house and took my pc with me. Ever since I’ve been experiencing weird crashes, its usually when I’m playing more intensive games but sometimes it just happens. It also happens sometimes if my system is nudged in any way. When it crashes the screen freezes and a loud blaring noise occurs, the gpu’s fans also start going to max speed until I hard shutdown the system through the power button.

Now the gpu displays a red light when I try to route power to it. I’m not sure if this is a psu issue, a gpu issue or if things just all need to be reseated… I haven’t taken apart my entire pc yet but reseated the gpu several times.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: b550 pro-vdh wifi
Cpu- ryzen 5 5600x
Gpu: asus rtx 2060
Psu: evga 750 watt bq
Ram: 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance

Update: I’ve adjusted and reseated all the parts and the video card still displays a red led. Everything powers on still and works but the crashes are still present

Last edited:

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Hello all.
Recently I’ve moved back to my friend’s house and took my pc with me. Ever since I’ve been experiencing weird crashes, its usually when I’m playing more intensive games but sometimes it just happens. It also happens sometimes if my system is nudged in any way. When it crashes the screen freezes and a loud blaring noise occurs, the gpu’s fans also start going to max speed until I hard boot off the system through the power button.

Now the gpu displays a red light when I try to route power to it. I’m not sure if this is a psu issue, a gpu issue or if things just all need to be reseated… I haven’t taken apart my entire pc yet but reseated the gpu several times.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: b550 pro-vdh wifi
Cpu- ryzen 5 5600x
Gpu: asus rtx 2060
Psu: evga 750 watt bq
Ram: 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance

Update: I’ve adjusted and reseated all the parts and the video card still displays a red led. Everything powers on still and works but the crashes are still present

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
these units are really only intended for very low quality systems.
a decent media center or low quality gaming system would be about all they can handle.

What sort of replacement psu should I search for that can fit the needs of my system then? Something relatively inexpensive would be very appreciated

A good place to start when shopping:

jameel283

Prominent
Dec 23, 2021
it's could be unstable over clocking . it's could be over heating . it's could be losing power or isusse with the psu ! download "core temp" and "gpu-z" check the temps in the core temp program while you are doing a stress test in the "gpu-z" and see if it's over heating! if not and all the tempa are ok so load the system with the defalut baios setting and use the pc .. play games and check if th's still crashing .. if it's still crashing so you may roll back to older gpu driver if you've already updated your gpu driver to the lastest driver cause i've see a lot of people they saying that's a lot of isusses in the lastest gpu driver fron invidia!
if it's still crashing after all that so you may re-install win 10 (frish install)...
also it's could be bad RAM stick .. so you can try to use only one stick of ram and see if there still crasing

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
these units are really only intended for very low quality systems.
a decent media center or low quality gaming system would be about all they can handle.

Now that I think about it, are you sure that the psu is the issue? It would make sense since it is my oldest part out of this build but for it to suddenly stop working is odd.

Update: I found a good deal on a Seasonic focus px-750, the tier list you provided and another one linked to it held it in high regard, would purchasing it be a good idea

Last edited:

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
At first, I used an extension cable but I thought it could have been the issue. So I plugged it directly into the wall, still had issues tried another outlet earlier today. But the light’s still red with and without the cable, I’m not sure why the gpu light suddenly also started turning red instead of the usual white. But it doesn’t seem to have an effect on the crashing issue. To clarify when it started crashing, it had the normal white light but as I was troubleshooting, it turned red and hasn’t turned white since then.

Last edited:

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
I’ve reseated the gpu, unplugged it from power. Tried different power connectors, pci-e and vga.

Its a ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Tried both cables of the psu? The red light is afaik a power issue so why i continue that route.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean. I just mean that I tried both the vga cable and pci-e cable to power the gpu. The red light usually means its seated incorrectly, the mobo slot is damaged or the gpu isn’t getting enough power from the psu. And since I’ve reseated it several times and the system boots fine, it just crashes randomly (though its guaranteed to crash if I run an intensive program)

That made me think its a psu failure since my psu is by far my oldest part in the build.

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Unfortunately not but I recently installed a new better psu recommended by the psu tier list thread on this site. The crashes still occur though, less frequently though.

I'm completely lost on what's wrong at this point, I assume its the gpu since the red light is still on but it wasn't when this whole crash issue started...

btw this is the new psu I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-PX-...=&hvlocphy=9031250&hvtargid=pla-1028500404872

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
I purchased it, installed it and the computer boots just fine. The red light on the gpu is still present and now the crashes are still present, just less frequent.

The weird thing is that the gpu red light wasn't on when I first started troubleshooting the crashes, I'm completely lost on what's wrong here.

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Update: Thanks for merging the threads, wasn't sure how to do that lol.

I searched through the event log, and determined that there were a lot of critical errors.
Its called Kernal-Power, ID: 41

Update: Determined that I only have this error because I have to hold down the power button to actually turn the computer off and then on again so it can start responding again. Hope that helps, I'll keep trying things..

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Might start having problem with the gpu since the red light shows up. Contact Asus support and ask what they think, might be time for rma. C an contact shop you bought it from first, see if you can start rma via them first.

The pcie slot looks fine? Not did damage to it? Maybe when taking out or putting in the gpu.

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
I RMA'd the card, it had some issues. They got it fixed, and it was just sent back to me.

The red light on it is gone now, only problem is that the issue is still occurring. I boot up the card, and the screen flashes from no input detected to no signal.

All the fans run at max speed upon launch, and based on the motherboard's indicators it seems that the PC is able to boot. The fans never stop running at their max speed until I boot off the system, manually being the only method possible since the screen only shows a "No Signal" message

Last edited: