MlSTER

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
I have a ryzen 3700x with a rx 5700 brand new, updated drivers first thing on boot, and when i play games, it loads fine, the fps is fine on load, but when i move to the next area, it crashes to black. Black as in, computer is off, as in what happens if u hold down the powerbutton. The computer then wont boot until i turn the power on the back off, then on again before it boots. I am pretty stumped, I've try running benchmarks, and the temps seem fine, and during the benchmarks, it doesnt crash even when gpu/cpu is at 100%

suggestions?

Solution
Yes. That is exactly what I was going to say. For the sake of being honest I have to say that of course I can't tell you that THAT "is" the problem, because there's always a chance that it is not, but being completely truthful, I have seen so many systems have problems with those N1 and W1 units it's a good thing EVGA has had some exceptionally good units at the other end of the spectrum or they'd have been run out of PSU town long ago as a result of it.

For certain, with absolutely ZERO doubts about it, that PSU 100% does not belong in THAT system with that level of hardware, and should be replaced with something much better no matter whether it is the problem or not, and I rather believe there is every chance that it is because those...

MlSTER

Prominent
Nov 27, 2019
Sapphire radeon rx5700 8gb
ryzen 3700x
Samsung evo 970 500gb
HyperX 8gb 3200HMz CL16 DDR4 x2
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, 100-W1-0600-K3
Asus X470-pro prime motherboard

cooling stock amd wrath

Yes. That is exactly what I was going to say. For the sake of being honest I have to say that of course I can't tell you that THAT "is" the problem, because there's always a chance that it is not, but being completely truthful, I have seen so many systems have problems with those N1 and W1 units it's a good thing EVGA has had some exceptionally good units at the other end of the spectrum or they'd have been run out of PSU town long ago as a result of it.

For certain, with absolutely ZERO doubts about it, that PSU 100% does not belong in THAT system with that level of hardware, and should be replaced with something much better no matter whether it is the problem or not, and I rather believe there is every chance that it is because those unit are incredibly flaky when it comes to problems and performance. I've seen quite a few of those N1 and W1 units have issues even in mainstream desktops that aren't using anything more than a slot powered graphics card, much less one with a high end hardware.

There were reviews of the 430w and 600w version of that power supply on HardOCP, but they have recently closed down the site except for somebody seems to be maintaining the forum section over there but all of the reviews are gone. The results of that HEC platform used in those units was terrible. The 500w version did slightly better in JonnyGuru testing, but even that only scored an 8 out of 10 which, while not horrendous, was still pretty lousy and was likely a cherry picked golden sample sent to them by EVGA. Off the shelf units don't tend to do that well and are more in line with the results that were seen on the HardOCP reviews.

Short version, it's a low quality PSU shaped object, even if it's not necessarily a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Also, with a PSU that is very questionable, it makes it really difficult to even try and find other problems because you have no idea whether what you are seeing is a result of the cheap power supply or an actual hardware issue.

Solution