Question Computer crashes very often with GPU related error codes

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
I got a 5700 for Black Friday, and it didn't work properly. It would freak out at loading screens, crash consistently, etc. So I sent it back assuming that it was the card. However, for Christmas I got the same card, 5700, but by a different manufacturer, and the same exact thing happened to me. I asked online for some solutions, and people were saying to uninstall drivers using DDU, so I did, and when that didn't work, I did a clean boot of windows. However, I am still getting the same issues, and it seems like the crashes are happening more frequently. Some of the codes I've gotten are, VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL ERROR, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. A common thread I found between these was graphics card drivers, but I've checked them multiple times and they are up to date, and I don't have the drivers from the previous graphics card installed anymore (I haven't plugged it in since I did the clean boot, so I'm 100% sure they're not installed). This is a link to any relevant parts of the computer.
Some other things it does besides crashing: freezes a game window if I alt+tab when it's full screen, and the screen flickers in some in game menus (inventories, etc). Outside of BSOD's, the screen will sometimes freeze and I am forced to reboot, and other times the screen will just go black, and again I have to reboot. I'm completely out of ideas as to what is causing the issue. The only thing that is possibly the issue is the motherboard or PSU, but I doubt it because they are both in near perfect condition. Any help is greatly appreciated, but I'd prefer to not have to do a clean boot of windows again, since that proved useless.

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
gpu recommend a good 600 psu
and you running/mixing 2 ram kit?

I had a feeling that the PSU could be the problem, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with something like this before I made any purchases. And as far as the ram goes, they’re the exact same model, and I didn’t have any problems with them with my previous graphics card.

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
Take out the 2nd kit anyway and test it.
It could simply be you weren't pushing it very hard until you got the RX 5700.
Hey, sorry for the super late response. I tried changing the ram multiple times, and it still hasn't fixed it. I've also changed literally everything in my computer except for the CPU and storage, and I still have had no luck. I honestly have no clue what the hell is wrong here. I bought a new mobo(B450 tomahawk) and PSU(750 watt) from best buy and neither of them fixed the issue. The only other option I can see is to just get a 2060S or something, because I guess my computer just isn't compatible with this graphics card for whatever reason.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No dice, huh?

-Run a Windows DISM and system scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Windows is up to date?
-DirectX is up to date? To check, in Windows Search, enter 'dxdiag'. A new window should appear. Make sure the checkbox next to 'Check for WHQL digital signatures' is checked.
Also check the other tabs to see if they report any issues(will be contained in the Notes).

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
I checked AMD's website for known issues, and one of the issues was "Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution."
Could this honestly just be a drivers issue even though it happens on full screen and borderless?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I won't deny that.
AMD has always been on the slower end for driver prowess. They may be the value leader currently for cpus and gpus, but a few people run into these seemingly unrecoverable driver issues.
There are many who have an RX 5700/XT or Ryzen cpu and don't/won't run into the same issues at all.

I'm wondering if it's actually a hardware, and not a software issue. You can have 2 people doing fresh 'all AMD builds'.
-User 1 experiences no issues at all for the next few years - maybe a hiccup or 2, but it gets resolved after a few months from a driver update.
-User 2 constantly experiences crashes/freezes etc, even though their system is nearly identical to #1's save for different brands. Nothing seems to fix the issue, and User 2 eventually gives up and completely replaces the 'problem child', completely ruining their 'all AMD' setup.
The cpu platform or gpu is replaced - whether to Team Blue or Green - and suddenly, no issues.

Intel and Nvidia may not have the best prices, but what they do have over AMD is driver support: more stable, and quicker on the fixes - well, most of them.

Speaking of hardware issues, that got me thinking. Besides the memory, which checked out fine, the only other thing that stands out - if even a little - is the motherboard.
For B450, it is on the lower end of quality - no VRM heatsinks at all - so I wonder if there's some issue with the power delivery(the mobo does supply power to the PCIE slot), or perhaps it's drivers even?
Update the motherboard's drivers and bios, and see what happens from there. Should nothing change, I'd try replacing the mobo. Perhaps one of Msi's B450 MAX models, Asrock, or Gigabyte?

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
Yea my friend has a 5700, and he's had no problems with it. Wish I could have the same experience lol.

Are you talking about the B450 Prime or the Tomahawk? I've updated the drivers, but I'll try again tonight or tomorrow when I put the old mobo back in (I got the tomahawk but it didn't fix the issue so I'm just gonna return it). I think I might just wait a bit and see if its a drivers issue. If it doesn't turn out to be a drivers issue I might just return the card and get a 2060S or something :(

liamd101

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
Yea, that wasn't the problem. Also, I found a temporary work around: if I just play in borderless instead of full screen, I don't get the flickering. Also the crashing seemed to stop with the new mobo, so I think it might be ok for right now.
Edit: it didn't fix the flickering tho.