[SOLVED] Computer crashes when not using heavy system resources.

Mar 22, 2020
I can play games like Destiny 2 for hours and never have a problem. If I play The Old Republic it'll still crash, but last a good half hour before doing so. If I'm just browsing, or even just leave it at the desktop it'll crash in minutes. I can't even leave a game running in the background just to browse, or look at the steam store.

I've tried all I can think of at this point. I've done a fresh install of windows on a new HDD, fresh installation of all games and drivers, swapped out the GPU, swapped out the RAM, disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the whole system, swapped out mouse and keyboard as I use the Logitech g600 mouse, and g510 keyboard and they store profile information on the devices themselves and maybe corrupt? But no, still crashing.

I've got a friend that suggested software called WhoCrashed, but the only crashes it detects are the ones it can generate to test the software with. Turned off autolaunch on everything, and even with no software running, still crashes. I'm out of ideas, without just buying even more new parts and swapping them out, but with no unusual reports in my system log, and no crash reports I don't even know where to try next. Help?

System specs are as follows:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (REV5.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 760G USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ FX8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

GPU: EVGA GeForce 04G-P4-6253-KR, GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card

RAM: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 X 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TPD316G1333C9DC01

PSU: Antec EA-750 PLATINUM 750W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply

Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)

Solution
You mentioned looking in "system logs".

Does that include Reliability History and Event Viewer? Check both for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the computer crashes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.

With either tool, you can right click any given error for more information. The details may or may not be helpful.

Look in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for any apps that may be running in the background.

Especially for apps you do not recognize. If any, find out what they are and what they do.

Could also be some known app trying to update, backup, or phone home. And failing due to a bug or file corruption.

That all said, I would be remiss if I did not...

Ralston18

Titan
You mentioned looking in "system logs".

Does that include Reliability History and Event Viewer? Check both for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the computer crashes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.

With either tool, you can right click any given error for more information. The details may or may not be helpful.

Look in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for any apps that may be running in the background.

Especially for apps you do not recognize. If any, find out what they are and what they do.

Could also be some known app trying to update, backup, or phone home. And failing due to a bug or file corruption.

That all said, I would be remiss if I did not comment on Windows 7.

Windows 7 is obsolete and garnering less and less support. No software developer is under any obligation to support Windows 7.

Any newer apps/drivers may simply disavow Windows 7 and cause a conflict.

Solution