Computer crashes when waking from sleep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hey all. I have a homebuilt system that I have had for a little over a year now. I am currently having an issue when waking my computer from sleep. When I wake the computer, I can see the machine turn on and start up (LED fans light up) but the monitor stays black. It stays like that and my only option is to do a hard reset.

After resetting the computer, it says its resuming windows and lets me login, but it runs very slow for a while. On my next restart, the computer "checks the disk for consistency", and then after that everything is normal again.

This doesn't happen every time I put it to sleep, but it has been happening a lot lately. I had this issue last year, but it just stopped, and i can't remember if I had done anything to fix it. I did not have this problem again until sometime last week. The only thing I did last week was I installed the new drivers for my video card and uninstalled/reinstalled MSI afterburner.

Does anyone have an idea as to whats causing the problem and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Solution

I would say we have a suspect chain...

Can u restore to previews time, when everything worked?

Sometimes even the newest drivers are source of problems.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Yep. I think I MAY have fixed it. I went back into MSI Afterburner and selected "synchronize settings for similar graphics processors". I had unchecked it because I wasn't sure if it would run each card at the same voltage (which i wanted them at different voltages). For whatever reason I was able to put it to sleep 4 times without the error occurring.

Only time will tell I guess. I really hope its not the latest video driver because that is supposed to fix some issues with the test versions of BF3. Anybody gonna be playing the beta next week? I'll be playing on the 27th :)

laioren

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm having this EXACT same issue. However, it started happening to me suddenly yesterday. It's never happened before then, and it happens every time my computer goes to sleep now.

I thought it might be do to something happening in Google Chrome because I kept getting error reports from it when I'd restart my computer.

I also have an AMD Radeon card, but I've never installed the MSI Afterburner software for it, but I'm guessing that since my graphics card drivers are up to date, that it may just automatically install the Afterburner software. I've definitely never manually changed any setting in Afterburner.

I have my TV plugged into my video card as well, and it also remains black when I try to wake from sleep mode.

Lastly, I have a solid state drive for my OS drive.

laioren

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
To add, the ONLY changes made to my computer yesterday (of which I am aware), were these two Windows 7 updates:

Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.113.85.0)
Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.113.7.0)

My video card drivers were last updated on September 3rd, and I've manually installed 0 new programs or hardware devices in the last 48 hours.

laioren

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I found out what was causing my problem, at least.

I have an old HP Printer-Scanner-Fax machine that I rarely use. Apparently, if it's turned on, my computer can't wake from sleep mode, even though its drivers were up-to-date. Being plugged in doesn't seem to matter. The computer only fails to wake from sleep mode if the printer is actually turned on.

I have multiple other USB devices connected, like external hard drives, but none of them cause the same issue. I tried switching ports for the printer, too, but it always ends in the same result.

So my suggestion for anyone having this issue would be to first try unplugging all USB devices and seeing if the issue persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.