Computer Crashes White Screen When Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edman90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Not too long after I launch a game and start playing, the screen switches to blank white screen. The game isn't the only thing that crashes, so does the computer, so I can't ctrl alt del my way out of there. I have to hold down the power button to get it to force shutdown. I have no idea what it is.. At first I thought it was a temperature or psu problem, but I don't know, never heard of a white screen due to temp.

Anyways here are my full pc specs.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 @stock 4.0
CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: 8gb 1333mhz ram
GPU: EVGA Superclocked 660
MOBO: Asrock 990fx extreme 3
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Could it also be the gpu? I don't recall where but I think I remember someone saying that EVGA superclocked gpu sometimes tend to do this, so it would be a good idea to underclock them. I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Thank you so much in advance for helping.

Edman90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Yeah, it's basically any game. Here are some examples, CS:GO, Dayz, Rust, Portal 2...
And no fan seems to stop, but when the white screen takes over, the fan speed slows down, that pretty much it.
The only way to unfreeze my pc is to force restart it. There is no cursor its just plain white.

James Junior

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

I suspect the GPU Temperature.Because when any other crashes or gives an error due to overheating it gives a BSOD not a white screen.I suggest download MSI Afterburner and run your game in windowed mode and play for a bit while looking at the GPU Temperature.If it just keeps going up ( 55 --> 67 --> 76 --> 89 ) It's the GPU.The safe range for a GPU is 60-70 Celsius.If the temps are low ( Pls report back GPU temp ) and you are still getting a white screen you may want to update or reinstall your GPU drivers.Last resort whould be replacing your GPU, but that's an extreme solution.Just report back temps so we can work from there.You can also download Core Temp and report back CPU temps to see if that's the problem.

Edman90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

ok thank you, so I started up cs go in windowed mode and played for as long as I could before the crash. The cpu got up to a max of 70c and the gpu up to 75. And it did gradually go up. I was gonna upgrade the gpu anyway, but I just wanted to know if it was something else so I could check it out.

Edman90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

My pc could use a clean, but do those temps make sense? or is it just time to replace my graphics card or cpu? This is a very frustrating situation, I just wish the computer could atleast give me an error code or something but no just a white screen.

James Junior

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

Yeah the temps are bit on the danger side.Usully Intel processors and gpus have therml protection for when they get too hot.If they get too hot say 90 degrees they have build in systems for shut down.But those systems will kick in earlier.Like 70-80 degrees.So you either need to upgrade your gpu/ cpu cooler or do a thermal paste change.Thermal paste is like a thick gel between the die (processor core) and cooler.This will improve temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.