[SOLVED] Computer crashing a few minutes after startup after cleaning fan

Jun 14, 2021
Exactly as the title says, my PC is now crashing a few minutes after startup every time I start it. This started occurring after I opened up my PC and cleaned a fan that was "squeaking" with a can of compressed air. I'm not particularly experienced with PC's, this is my first PC and I've only had this one for a year and a half, and I did not build it, but I'm fairly dang certain I put everything back exactly like it was when I opened it. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Solution
I cleaned the CPU fan as much as I could with a can of compressed air. I wanted to oil the bearing, but the bearing isn't exposed on either side of the fan, so sadly the "chirping" that initially made me want to clean the fan hasn't been remedied...

Now that you point it out, I don't believe it is as completely attached as it could be. I tried fiddling around with it and seating it better, but it's a pain in the ass to try and hold the fan in place, hold the backplate in place, and screw the screws with only two hands.

You shouldnt be needing to hold the backplate on.

The backplate attaches to the mounting brackets that hold the heatsink on the cpu. Then you attach the heatsink to the mounting brackets. When removing the...
Exactly as the title says, my PC is now crashing a few minutes after startup every time I start it. This started occurring after I opened up my PC and cleaned a fan that was "squeaking" with a can of compressed air. I'm not particularly experienced with PC's, this is my first PC and I've only had this one for a year and a half, and I did not build it, but I'm fairly dang certain I put everything back exactly like it was when I opened it. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Welcome to the Forums. When posting, please be sure to include your full system specs in your post to help people trying to help you :)

Other than those details I will need, is it a desktop or laptop?

Jun 14, 2021
Welcome to the Forums. When posting, please be sure to include your full system specs in your post to help people trying to help you :)

Other than those details I will need, is it a desktop or laptop?
It's a Desktop. Here's the information I know.
MOBO: Gigabyte Technology Co A320M-S2H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core
Cooler: ???
GPU: Radeon RX 580
Memory: I'm not sure what brand, but I have 16 GB, 2400 MHz, and it's DIMM form factor.
Storage: Kingston SA400M8 240gb / WD Elements 25A1 4tb USB Device
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 500w
Win: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: ???
Case: ???
I don't know anything at all really about the case. I was told to open it up and look inside to try to find a label or something since there were none on the outside, but I'm not seeing any anywhere inside either.

It's a Desktop. Here's the information I know.
MOBO: Gigabyte Technology Co A320M-S2H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core
Cooler: ???
GPU: Radeon RX 580
Memory: I'm not sure what brand, but I have 16 GB, 2400 MHz, and it's DIMM form factor.
Storage: Kingston SA400M8 240gb / WD Elements 25A1 4tb USB Device
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 500w
Win: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: ???
Case: ???
I don't know anything at all really about the case. I was told to open it up and look inside to try to find a label or something since there were none on the outside, but I'm not seeing any anywhere inside either.

Did you clean the cpu fan?

And can you make sure the cpu fan is plugged in fully?

Jun 14, 2021
Did you clean the cpu fan?

And can you make sure the cpu fan is plugged in fully?
I cleaned the CPU fan as much as I could with a can of compressed air. I wanted to oil the bearing, but the bearing isn't exposed on either side of the fan, so sadly the "chirping" that initially made me want to clean the fan hasn't been remedied...

Now that you point it out, I don't believe it is as completely attached as it could be. I tried fiddling around with it and seating it better, but it's a pain in the ass to try and hold the fan in place, hold the backplate in place, and screw the screws with only two hands.

You shouldnt be needing to hold the backplate on.

The backplate attaches to the mounting brackets that hold the heatsink on the cpu. Then you attach the heatsink to the mounting brackets. When removing the heatsink, the backplate should not be coming off with it as its attached to the motherboard itself via the mounting brackets. Once they are installed, removing the heatsink on that mobo should be as simple as unclipping it from the mounting brackets. The brackets need to be screwed down properly to the backplate BEFORE installing the heatsink. Im not sure how you installed these AND the heatsink at the same time. Did you not watch a video on it before installing it?

Other than that, It sounds like the pc is overheating due to poor heatsink mounting or the plug for the fan on the heatsink is not plugged in all the way to the mobo causing the fan to not spin. Could have unplugged it while cleaning it (but you said the noise is still there so it must be spinning). Also, could be the fans "squeeking noise" indicating the fan is damaged and is not working at full potential causing high enough temps for the system to auto shut down.

Does the fan spin? I would remount the entire backplate to the mounting brackets and then mount the heatsink with new thermal paste.

Also, download HWMonitor here: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Install it. Open it. Scroll to your CPU. Under it, it should say Temperature. What is the temp of your pc when the crash is about to happen? Also, what is the temp of the pc as soon as you turn it on? Also, look at the spot where it says "Fans" under your Motherboard name, what RPM is the CPU fan spinning at? Must know this info to know if its a thermal issue.

Here is a video to aid you in reinstalling the backplate/mounting brackets and heatsink properly:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWPwCp9ef

Last edited:
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Consider this possibility also. Your fan was squeaking, and still is. That means the fan bearings are worn, and eventually the fan will fail. But before that happens, those bearings MAY be causing the fan to run slower than it should, so even at full power setting it is not cooling as well as it should.