Question Computer Crashing

Mar 23, 2023
I have been trying to run Destiny 2 but have been running into an issue involving my computer crashing. Sometimes it black screens and other times freezes with the visuals yet audio is playing from discord and the game. I am unsure of what to do as it was happening before taking it to a repair shop and it is still happening now. It has happened on other games and also while just idle but D2 seems more frequent.

PC Specs:
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
  • Black PowerSpec 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply Active PFC SLI Crossfire Ready Gaming PC Computer PC Computer Switching PSU
  • Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
  • ID-Cooling SE-224-XT Black CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes CPU Air Cooler 120mm PWM Fan CPU Fan
  • GIGABYTE Z390 UD (LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6GB/s ATX Intel Motherboard with above 4G Decoding, 6 x PCIe Slots
  • ASUS TUF Gaming 3 AMD Radeon RX 5700XT OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 8GB, GDDR6, HDMI, Display Port, Axial-tech Fan Design, 2.7 SLot Design, Auto-Extreme) (TUF-3-RX5700XT-O8G-EVO-GAMING)

Currently, I run a two-monitor set-up and have seen Green Screen Crash, Black Screen Crash, and one time a Crash yet the video was just frozen and audio was playing in the background. I recently upgraded my monitor to a 144Hz monitor and when I run at that refresh rate it sometimes seems to crash more but it still does it on 60Hz anyways. I have tried to reinstall previous GPU drivers and that didn't seem to work either. My monitors are plugged into the wall while my PSU is plugged into a surge protector which I have also swapped out with another.

PC Repair Shop Invoice Statements:

• Audited the Event Viewer: errors from bad_module_info and ArmourySWAgent.exe
  • Attempted repairing Armoury Crate Lite Service, but the resource could not be found
  • Uninstalled Armoury Crate Lite Service
  • Uninstalled and deleted display drivers
  • Installed display drivers fresh
  • Reinstalled Windows from Windows Media Creation Tool
  • Ran SFC Windows repairs

I was hoping that it was more a software issue since I really did not want to have to purchase a new part, but I'm starting to think it may be hardware. Could use anyone's advice/help at this point though.

Mar 23, 2023
Hello! "...and also while just idle." What do thermals look like; cpu, gpu, memory, ssd, etc. Use a free 'cpuid hwmonitor' to check. At the time of the crash, note the time and check WindowsComputer\Event Viewer\WindowsLogs\System, and line-up the time of the crash with the events displayed to the right. You can click on the event and it might point to what led up to the crash. Look for the red !Error and yellow !Warnings at the time of the crash. Sounds like a GPU\driver issue, if not a thermal issue. I would de-clock the 5700XT just to isolate the OC isn't too ambitious. Check Windows\DXDIAG, click on each tab and see if there are any obvious problems displayed at the bottom.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023
Current temps for CPU: 39, Motherboard: 38, SSD: 33, GPU: 59.

The crash report says Kernal-Power next to it though there is not much more info attached to why it crashed. I am not sure though how to declock the GPU I never overclocked it when I built it, to begin with.

Mar 23, 2023
Current temps for CPU: 39, Motherboard: 38, SSD: 33, GPU: 59.
The crash report says Kernal-Power next to it though there is not much more info attached to why it crashed. I am not sure though how to declock the GPU I never overclocked it when I built it, to begin with.

Idle (?) temps above seem ok. GPU is a little warmer than I would want, do you only have the browser open?
Run the game and provide the exact error here. I found an !Error and it gives me some details: "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error xxxx" etc, etc. Double click yours and let us know what it says.

Your graphics card comes overclocked by default: ASUS TUF Gaming 3 AMD Radeon RX 5700XT OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card
The video card should come with Asus proprietary software to allow users to attenuate clock and memory speeds.

While researching the specs of the card, I came across this video that touches on a few of the memory modules are not actively cooled by design. They mention the fans produce 44db to help keep those exposed memory modules cool, but they still realized 84c in the testing. Just something to think about.
View: https://youtu.be/oJmE9itKwsA

Mar 23, 2023
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/23/2023 5:22:27 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-03-23T22:22:27.9957048Z" />
<EventRecordID>607</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer></Computer>
<Security UserID="" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">133240837273688902</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

This work? The GPU temp was with a browser and discord open at the time, still hovering around that temp with the same applications open. I watched the video and I see why heat may be a problem. Could be a good idea for me to just buy a new card in general, do you know if any Nvidia ones are compatible with my current setup? I would like to go with 3070TI but wasn't sure.

Mar 23, 2023
How do your power supply +5v, +3.3v and +12v values look? They say we can lose 5+% power supply efficiency each year, so we can't rule out the power supply.
Yes your rig will take an nVidia card, as long as you uninstall all Radeon software, power down, unplug from wall, discharge power button, remove AMD card, install nVidia card, power up, then update nVidia drivers.
But before you do that, take out your AMD card now and run video temporarily on your onboard video, just to isolate if the crashing occurs without the discrete AMD card.
Lower your gaming resolution\quality enough for you to be able to test. The gaming experience may lag but that doesn't matter; we want to know if the video card is the culprit. Or do you have another video card you can throw in there to test temporarily?
Granted, removing the AMD card will reduce the burden on your power supply, so let's check those +5v, +3.3v and +12v values first.