[SOLVED] Computer Disconnects from Wifi while gaming

Feb 3, 2019
I keep having this *really* frustrating issue where I'll be playing Destiny 2, for example, and my internet suddenly just stops. Discord will disconnect and I'll be unable to play, forcing me to restart destiny and wait for my connection to connect once more.
I just recently bought this laptop last year during black Friday, and I've had this issue come up a few times while gaming. I think I first started noticing it happen while playing League Of Legends. I haven't really noticed this issue while browsing the internet, leading me to believe it's specifically got to do with gaming
I have limited clues as to what might be causing this, and any help would really be appreciated as it's really starting to bother me.
(I can post any specs you might need, just let me know. I'm running on a Lenovo Legion Y530-ICH.)

Your connection is generally made up of 3 parts. Your network (the link between your laptop and your router/modem, etc) and your ISPs link to your home and the rest is Internet. If the Internet was broken we would all know about it. So, is this loss of connection between your laptop and your router/modem (your network ... your problem) or between your router/modem and your ISP (ISP's link ... their problem)? Best way to tell is a ping test.

Open a command prompt. Enter "tracert google.com". This lists the routers between you and google. The first couple lines is what we care about. The first line is your router. The second should be your ISP's router (off in some building on the other side of town) unless you have a seperate router and modem or some other fancy setup.

Now open 2 more command prompts.
In the first enter "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x is the 1st address from the tracert (your router).
In the second enter "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x is the 2nd address from the tracert (your ISP's router).

Now fire up your game and play until it stops. Alt-tab to see your command prompts. Are you still getting pings? If so, something else is going on. If not, which one is not responding.

Your connection is generally made up of 3 parts. Your network (the link between your laptop and your router/modem, etc) and your ISPs link to your home and the rest is Internet. If the Internet was broken we would all know about it. So, is this loss of connection between your laptop and your router/modem (your network ... your problem) or between your router/modem and your ISP (ISP's link ... their problem)? Best way to tell is a ping test.

Open a command prompt. Enter "tracert google.com". This lists the routers between you and google. The first couple lines is what we care about. The first line is your router. The second should be your ISP's router (off in some building on the other side of town) unless you have a seperate router and modem or some other fancy setup.

In the first enter "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x is the 1st address from the tracert (your router).
In the second enter "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x is the 2nd address from the tracert (your ISP's router).

Now fire up your game and play until it stops. Alt-tab to see your command prompts. Are you still getting pings? If so, something else is going on. If not, which one is not responding.

Mar 28, 2020

Hi,

I am having the same issue as OP and i followed the troubleshooting steps exactly as you said. When the game got disconnected, both the pings to the router and the ISP address started showing first 'Request timed out' and then 'Destination Host Unreaachable' and i lost the connection. Now the funny part is, after a few seconds (i came out of the game) the ping started working with 2ms values and i checked the internet - it was working fine now!
Please help - this is important as India is under lockdown and i need some way to pass time :)

These older threads many times get lost when you add a post to the bottom tends to be better to start your own.

This means it is a problem with your PC or with the router. If you have another device see if it continues to function when your PC is reporting problems. If another device has issues then it is more likely it is your router. If the other device works it is likely your pc.

It is not uncommon for a game to crash and lock your machine up but that would be a issue more with the game than a true network issue.

Reactions: anotherdrew
Mar 28, 2020
These older threads many times get lost when you add a post to the bottom tends to be better to start your own.

This means it is a problem with your PC or with the router. If you have another device see if it continues to function when your PC is reporting problems. If another device has issues then it is more likely it is your router. If the other device works it is likely your pc.

It is not uncommon for a game to crash and lock your machine up but that would be a issue more with the game than a true network issue.
Hi Bill,

The other devices work perfectly fine. So regarding the Laptop, what exactly in it could be the issue? I have tried uninstall/install network driver, updated it to latest version, reset router and performed netsh ip reset. None of that has helped.

If it happens only when you are running a game you start to suspect the game itself has somehow messed the machine up. If it breaks say when you also run netflix which actually uses more network than a game then I would start to suspect bad hardware. If this is ethernet try a different cable if it is wifi you are kinda stuck. The wifi radio chip maybe failing. You might see something in the event log.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS