[SOLVED] Computer does not display once a day.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

Lately I have been having a really weird problem.When I boot my computer for the first time every day I get a black screen.I can listen to windows sounds etc in the background but no display.The only way this problem can be fixed is by force shutting down the computer for about 4-10 times.Even though I can hear sounds in the background pressing the power button just once does not initialize the shutdown process I have to keep it pressed until it shuts down.At first I thought it was an SSD problem and that it is dying on me.I bought a different SSD and the booted from there the problem continues to exist.I have tried to use different cables,different monitors,clear CMOS,install an updated BIOS,format,boot from HDD,SSD,reseating everything in the computer,changing ram configurations,unplugging all but the OS drive,changing SATA cables,changing SATA ports.I really dont know what to do anymore.

Solution
I'd try a different monitor and cable. Assuming you have speakers for sound (and you're not using monitor speakers), the symptoms sound to me like the video card and monitor aren't detecting each other when you first start up. So either the video card is sending output to a different port, or the monitor is switching to a different input port.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's no easy way to determine if the culprit is the cable, monitor, or video card, without swapping them out for a different cable, monitor, or video card. In that order since that's easiest/cheapest.

If the monitor has controls to let you manually select the input port, you can try toggling that to force it to accept Displayport input. That would fix...
Jan 16, 2020
I think we may be having the same issue, see my thread I made earlier today. I built the computer on 1/15 and have experienced this 2-3 times, once per day after the first time booting it up. Although I have not had my headphones on to test for sound, I cannot shut it off using the power button, even holding it down or pressing it numerous times. I’ve checked all my connections and they seem to be fine. GPU doesn’t wiggle at all. Cutting off power to the PSU for about 45 seconds fixes it, but it’s irritating for sure. Will be watching to see if you find a solution, and I’ll let you know if I get an answer.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Corsair RMx 750
B450 Tomahawk MAX
G.skill Aegis 3200 MHz RAM
H60 AIO
Thor v2 case
Dell 24” gaming monitor overclocked at 144hz, connected with HDMI

Update: Same issue just occurred after leaving it off for about 4 hours.
I am afraid it is the PSU and its out of my budget atm to get a new one.

Jan 16, 2020
I think we may be having the same issue, see my thread I made earlier today. I built the computer on 1/15 and have experienced this 2-3 times, once per day after the first time booting it up. Although I have not had my headphones on to test for sound, I cannot shut it off using the power button, even holding it down or pressing it numerous times. I’ve checked all my connections and they seem to be fine. GPU doesn’t wiggle at all. Cutting off power to the PSU for about 45 seconds fixes it, but it’s irritating for sure. Will be watching to see if you find a solution, and I’ll let you know if I get an answer.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Corsair RMx 750
B450 Tomahawk MAX
G.skill Aegis 3200 MHz RAM
H60 AIO
Thor v2 case
Dell 24” gaming monitor overclocked at 144hz, connected with HDMI

Update: Same issue just occurred after leaving it off for about 4 hours.
will try rolling the MOBO BIOS back to an older version.I will update you.