[SOLVED] Computer does not enter sleep mode ?

nevica

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello,

I have a new pre-built computer from HP.

Unfortunately the computer will not sleep when I go to Power/Sleep. It takes me to the log-in screen when the computer should shut-down and then enter sleep mode. What could be the problem? The sleep mode I understand is when the computer powers down without stopping all apps.

Last edited:
Solution
Try this:
  1. Turn Sleep back on and let PC go to sleep
  2. When it wakes itself, go to your desktop
  3. Right-click Start and Search for: Command Prompt
  4. When Command Prompt appears in the search results, click to open it
  5. At the prompt, type in: powercfg -lastwake and press Enter (be sure to include the space)

It will show you what just woke the PC and that may help you trouble-shoot this, if it isn't as simple as a (slight) mouse movement

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ock-screen-instead-of-sleep-mode/td-p/7893052

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try this:
  1. Turn Sleep back on and let PC go to sleep
  2. When it wakes itself, go to your desktop
  3. Right-click Start and Search for: Command Prompt
  4. When Command Prompt appears in the search results, click to open it
  5. At the prompt, type in: powercfg -lastwake and press Enter (be sure to include the space)

It will show you what just woke the PC and that may help you trouble-shoot this, if it isn't as simple as a (slight) mouse movement

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ock-screen-instead-of-sleep-mode/td-p/7893052

Solution

nevica

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I don't think the waking is the problem. It's the fact that the power/sleep will not work. (Ie Bottom Left win button/power/sleep) does not work. Its got nothing to do with waking up. There is something not allowing the computer to sleep.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you say it goes to lock screen as soon as you press sleep, its possible something is waking it as soon as you sleep it, and it goes there. So yes, sleep isn't staying on, it might not come on at all. But command at least checks to see if something is waking it as soon as you sleep it.

you can try safe mode and see if it sleeps in there
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

or you can try a clean boot which removes all programs apart from windows from the start process (temporily)
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran