Computer doesn't detect ethernet cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikougar

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
The other day I turned my computer on and my internet wasn't working. I have had this problem in the past, i have a gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, it has 2 ports on it, for the past few months one hasn't been working and now neither are, I'm using wireless right now but its kinda slow :/, one of the times when I had this problem I fixed it by reinstalling Windows (running Windows 7 64-bit) and that worked, but I would rather not do that again, don't want to loose all my music and games. My friend has had the same problem so he just reinstalled windows, there has to be another way to fix this thought right? I have already tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them but that didn't fix the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

G

Uninstall the network adapter in Device Manager and restart Windows.

Alternatively or additionally, find a later driver for the network adapter (probably part of a multi function chipset) at Gigabyte site.

Also see if there's a newer BIOS for your motherboard.

ikougar

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I managed to fix it, i reset the cmos and uninstalled the drivers from the device manager and the realtek software and that fixed it, i guess last time all i did was uninstalled the realtek software. thanks for the help guys.

RxDawg

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Your not going to believe this... but I had the exact same problem. Internet and PC were working fine the night before and then the next morning nothing. It wouldn't recognize my ethernet connection at all. My wireless was fine so I searched for other people that had my problem. Well I couldnt get anything to work so I thought I'd put in a wireless PCI card. So I shut my PC down and unpluged everything (note I'd already tried unpluging my ehternet cord). Laid my PC out and was about to install my wireless card. But then I saw on the driver software CD to install the software before installing the wireless card... so after a few choice words I plug everything back up and boot up my PC. Well guess what, the ethernet is suddenly recognized again. So for some reason unplugging everything and then setting it back up had some effect on my ethernet card to start back up.

Now a quick disclaimer. I've had a lot of PC problems of late. They're all very random and very wierd. I get BSOD's, freezes. I'm right on the verge of just replacing the darn thing but I'ts a very nice PC and only a few years old so I really hate to take that step. anyways, thats my story.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Is your router or cable/dsl modem running docsis 3.0 or 3.1? if not that is probably your issue. Flip it over its listed on either the bottom or the back depending on the style. Otherwise if you are running 3.0 and above, most routers or newer ethernet cards have diagnostics that will tell you if there are any breaks in the cable.

None of the above? run command prompt in administrator mode. prompt> ping 127.0.0.1. next prompt type: do a combination of ping www.yahoo.com, tracert www.speedguide.net or www.yahoo.com. if you're dropping packets you either have a problem with your provider, or your onboard card is failing. Try a wired ethernet pci card you know that works. ipconfig /all will tell you your dns server. Tracert and ping that. if you have problems then its beyond your box and past the ISP providers equipment. You'll have to call and probably request an escalation to "Tier 2" or a supervisor to get some kid that isn't going to waste your time telling you to unplug and reboot your equipment. If you have an ATT&T wiretell modem, customer service generally is pretty proficient diagnosing problems without the usual BS you get from the other providers.

If swapping to a wired ethernet pci card has the same results, you'll need to download a program to reset your IP protocols to default settings.

Trust me I went through the same garbage. I was running a dlink router and linksys modem both running docsis 1.0+. Why upgrade it works? Well thank you Comcast I had to buy new equipment. I was getting random disconnect but had local LAN connection usually during same hours.

Amazingfantasy66

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
What Ikougar said! I had the same problem after a Microsoft update. All my other devices connected to my modem just fine but my computer wouldn't recognize when the Ethernet cable was plugged in. All I did was simply remove the battery off my motherboard which resets the bios and CMOS to default settings and that did the trick.

scepka

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014

Hello,

what drivers did you uninstall please let me know.. thanks..

ps.. having the same problem

pavelscepka@hotmail.com

darkichigo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Had the same problem too, but the solution was so easy..-

1. run prompt (windows+R)
2. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click on OK button. The Device Manager window will pop up.
3. In device manager, expand network adapters category.
4. After expanding, right click on Ethernet card device name.
5. Now, if it is disabled, enable it.
And if it is already enabled, then first disable it and enable it again.

It worked for me. so give it a try.

@darkichigo, this thread is over seven years old, and the last post before yours was three years ago. Even those necros shouldn't have happened. Please in the future take a look at the age of the thread and don't post to threads that are more than three or four months old. If they weren't either solved or have more recent replies than that, then they are probably dead threads and you are reviving them for nothing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.