Question Computer experiences persistent stuttering every second even after windows reinstall

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Any one ever encounter stuttering, that persist through windows reinstall and randomly occurs?
I have this periodic issue where the computer begins to experience stutters every second for a fraction of a second. This occurs when the computer is booted up and continues to persist even when there are no active programs.
Checking my task manager none of the categories are reaching 100%. the highest is 46% at with memory.
This has been a persistent issue for a few months now and has persisted even through a windows reinstall.
Not sure what could have caused it to return, I haven't made any hardware changes and have not installed a new program since the issue returned.
Prior to the windows resinstall I was experiencing the following issues:
  • Blue Screen - DPC_Watchdog_Violation occurs when playing Apex Legends and The Cycle Frontier
  • Micro-Stuttering - Occurs every time I turn on the computer. Sometimes it goes away, occurs even when the computer is idle and no games are being played. Happens roughly every half second and lasts a half second.
After the reinstall I was experiencing Micro-stuttering that went away after ~3 days after the windows reinstall, but has returned today.
I have tried the following:
  • Defragmenting my SSD and HDD
  • Dusted my computer and made sure it was clean
  • Removed Temp files
  • Did the standard CCcleaner options
  • Ran windows defender / Malwarebytes virus scans, nothing detected
Any ideas on what to try or what to check to see what the issue might be?
Thanks!

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Hey there,

Can you list your full PC specs? Cheers
Thanks for the reply!

My system currently has:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
2 x 8gb DDR4-3200 (1600Mhz) G.Skill Ram
1Tb SDD for OS and games
1Tb HDD currently unused but still plugged in
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P5, 80 Plus Platinum 850W

I can list more information that I have tried.
I have reinstalled windows once more but this time using my SDD, previously I had installed windows on my HDD
I have unseated my GPU and reseated it
I have unseated my CPU, cleaned the thermal paste and reseated it

I am still experiencing the same issues. Althought now when the PC is idle I am seeing average temps of 45C with some spikes up to 62C then returning back down to ~45C.

Last edited:

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Bet he also wants to know what psu is used, so what maker+model+wattage.

Have latest bios for the motherboard?
Apologies, I have added my power supply. It was a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P5, 80 Plus Platinum 850W.?

My BIOS is also not up to date, so I'll go ahead and download the newest one and see if that fixes the issue.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Not sure if its worth adding, but I also hear a fast beeping when I free spin my mouse scroll wheel. It doesn't happen all the time, but I'll randomly spin my mouse and let it spin and a beeping sound will occur.

Might not be related, but its something.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Thanks for the reply!

My system currently has:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
2 x 8gb DDR4-3200 (1600Mhz) G.Skill Ram
1Tb SDD for OS and games
1Tb HDD currently unused but still plugged in
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P5, 80 Plus Platinum 850W

I can list more information that I have tried.
I have reinstalled windows once more but this time using my SDD, previously I had installed windows on my HDD
I have unseated my GPU and reseated it
I have unseated my CPU, cleaned the thermal paste and reseated it

I am still experiencing the same issues. Althought now when the PC is idle I am seeing average temps of 45C with some spikes up to 62C then returning back down to ~45C.
running 1600mhz ram while 3200 is the rated speed?
or 1600mhz ram

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Did you 'clear CMOS' after the bios update? If not, you need to do that, then test again.
System had no corrupted or missing files. Cleared the CMOS by shorting the two jumper pins on my motherboard. After booting it prompted me to enter in to BIOS for setup. After that and loading in to windows the issue still occurs. Although I did notice that I don't have the stuttering in the BIOS menu.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
running 1600mhz ram while 3200 is the rated speed?
or 1600mhz ram
I may have not set up the RAM properly. I never really did much configuring. I assumed it was just plug in and done. That information is what I got from CPU-Z when selecting the "SPD" tab. Where should I go to verify that the RAM is working as intended and not at a lower speed?

Reactions: Fatblabs

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I may have not set up the RAM properly. I never really did much configuring. I assumed it was just plug in and done. That information is what I got from CPU-Z when selecting the "SPD" tab. Where should I go to verify that the RAM is working as intended and not at a lower speed?
Try task manager. Not the best for getting info but should give you what the ram's speed is running at.

Open task manager --> go under the performance tab --> click RAM
it should show you what the speed is

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
Try task manager. Not the best for getting info but should give you what the ram's speed is running at.

Open task manager --> go under the performance tab --> click RAM
it should show you what the speed is
Looking at the task manager > Performance > Memory (didn't have a RAM plot), it reads "Speed: 2133 MHz" and a bit more information.

In use (Compressed): 5.7GB (272Mb)
Available: 10.2 GB
Commited:9.8/18.8 GB
Cached: 7.4 GB
Paged pool: 293MB
Non-paged pool: 267MB
Speed: 2133MHz
Slots used: 2 of 4
Form Factor: DIMM
Hardware Reserved: 87.5 MB

Not sure if this is of any use, but the speed seems wrong to me.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Looking at the task manager > Performance > Memory (didn't have a RAM plot), it reads "Speed: 2133 MHz" and a bit more information.

In use (Compressed): 5.7GB (272Mb)
Available: 10.2 GB
Commited:9.8/18.8 GB
Cached: 7.4 GB
Paged pool: 293MB
Non-paged pool: 267MB
Speed: 2133MHz
Slots used: 2 of 4
Form Factor: DIMM
Hardware Reserved: 87.5 MB

Not sure if this is of any use, but the speed seems wrong to me.
2133 mhz. Is the ram you bought supposed to be 3200? Model # of ram if possible.

destroctokon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2017
2133 mhz. Is the ram you bought supposed to be 3200? Model # of ram if possible.
I don't remember the exact model as I built this computer about 2-3 years ago, but looking at the CPU-Z and the ram stick itself, I think its the G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536111590/F4-3200C16D-8GVKB

The link above should be the ram stick, I got there by searching the "Part Number" on CPU-Z. The part number listed there was: F4-3200C16D-8GVKB.

Reactions: Fatblabs

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I don't remember the exact model as I built this computer about 2-3 years ago, but looking at the CPU-Z and the ram stick itself, I think its the G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536111590/F4-3200C16D-8GVKB

The link above should be the ram stick, I got there by searching the "Part Number" on CPU-Z. The part number listed there was: F4-3200C16D-8GVKB.
So it is indeed rated at 3200 mhz. Trying changing the ram speeds in the bios to 3200mhz (no xmp first).

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I'll try that. I don't feel like I know enough to overclock safely, so I'm hoping that this isn't the cause for the repeated stuttering and feeling of reduced performance
Your mobo is the same manufacturer as my personal rig mobo, so I think I have an idea of what it looks like. Enter the mobo's bios and enter advanced mode. Then Go to the AI tweaker and scroll until you see memory frequency. click on the dropdown, then click 3200. Then save bios settings and exit and see what happens