Question Computer Forces sleep while gaming

Jul 27, 2019
I just recently built my first gaming pc (finished building it on the 22nd) and everything seemed completely fine until yesterday when my computer forced sleep mode while I was playing Teamfight Tactics (uses 3% of my CPU to run). This proceeded to happen a few more times after changing the power settings to always on and I came to the conclusion that it must have been thermal paste. I changed that today (within 3 hours of making this post) and tried again. I was able to play 1 full game and thought the problem was fixed, so I load into another and within the first 2 minutes, the issue happened once again.

The night before all of this happened I was playing Overwatch for a couple of hours and then left my computer on the whole night (open just running with monitor off).

At this point, I am out of possible solutions and am hoping to get this fixed, because I'm very worried that I just destroyed my pc within a week of having it.

Edit: It is possible that its forcing Power Save instead of Sleep, but I am uncertain of the difference due to my lack of knowledge

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
I assume this is a desktop PC? I had a laptop doing the same thing, battery was dead, removing it fixed the issue.

You technically should have the latest drivers for your GPU, if not, download and update. If you DO have the latest drivers, try one or two older version first.

The quickest way to rule out software issues to to reinstall Windows.

I would strip all non-essentials from the computer. Remove all but one RAM stick, remove the GPU and let the on-board graphics chip handle the display for now, remove any secondary hard drives, and anything else like PCI cards, and USB attachments. Try running on bare minimum. Even Overwatch should run (at extremely low FPS on low settings) on integrated graphics. Just load up the training room and let it sit for a while.

Jul 27, 2019
I'm going to see if Reinstalling Windows will work. I've had some friends recommend the same thing. If that doesn't work I'll check everything else. Thank you for the help!

Jul 27, 2019
I reinstalled Windows, changed fan speeds to max and it still happens.
After double-checking the code in the manual, its forcing Sleep State S4 (Hibernation).
Does anyone know what causes this? I don't think it can be overheating since my computer's air flow seems very good.

Jul 27, 2019
Something I just checked (and am currently testing) is I lowered the RAM speed. My max ram speed (before overclocking) is 3600 MHz and I lowered it to 3400 MHz. That lowered my CPU temp by about 20 degrees C. This fix is working at the moment

Jul 25, 2019
Something I just checked (and am currently testing) is I lowered the RAM speed. My max ram speed (before overclocking) is 3600 MHz and I lowered it to 3400 MHz. That lowered my CPU temp by about 20 degrees C. This fix is working at the moment

Good to hear. Hopefully that was the issue.