Computer FPS lags unless tower is laying down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Please move if this isnt the right section, this is my first post here.

So 2 months ago I was cleaning out my computer with compressed air, dusted off the PSU, GPU fans, and CPU heat sync, and the case in general. I turned my pc back on and started to notice terrible fps lag inside games, making the games unplayable. After tampering with it for hours, I re-seated everything in the PC, and still no bueno. I noticed that the lag goes away when I lay the PC on it's side. Like the case is laying down. But when i turn the computer case upright, standing like it normally should be is when the FPS lag happens. So the other day I went and bought a new GPU, new PSU, and a case just because. I moved the mobo and everything into the new case, installed the new GPU and PSU. It still occurs, i can ONLY play games when my pc is on it's side, does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? Please help me. :/

Solution
Your temps are obviously the problem. That's way too high. You should be sitting in the 60s, 70 tops, under load. Are the pushpins all the way in like this. http://techreport.com/r.x/buildguide/pin.jpg You can also look and tell if the heatsink is making good contact on the cpu and see the thermal paste being pulled up when the heatsink is taken off.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

where is the actual speed? i assume its the "Core Speed" Right?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Thanks for all you're help. You're amazing!