Computer freeze after installing a new GPU

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Installed a new NVIDIA GPU after having an AMD one for a couple years. After using DDU to clean up my AMD GPU drivers i installed my NVIDIA drivers. For some reason my screen freezes (sound included) for a minute or 2 when playing games every 5-10 minutes. This happens when I just browse the internet and my internet connection dies suddenly. This has never happened before and when i am playing online i get a crash. Most notably my computer seems to not respond at all and all my tabs start loading, my downloads freeze, and my applications fail to launch. Then a minute later every action that i did pops up at once.

Solution
"Still,at this point i feel like I should return my GPU, get a new one and see if that fixes the problem."

Seems a bit extreme. But yes, it would be nice to have a different gfx card to test with before doing a clean install of the OS and all apps. I was going to ask if you had access to another one.

kosio890

Commendable
Aug 10, 2017
- Check if the temps are OK
- Update your Drivers
- Check if the GPU is installed properly and check if the power cables are connected to the GPU
- Reinstall Windows

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

temps are fine.
I updated and reinstalled all my GPU/display drivers.
power cables are fine.
have not reinstalled Windows yet
Reinstalling my drivers seemed to work for about an hour but then the problems came back.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Do you still have the old card? You could try it and see if the issue is related to the new card or something else. Almost sounds like it may be a software conflict, tho.

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

my old card fried and wont display a signal to a monitor.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Before going to that extreme, try running CCleaner first. It has saved me countless re-installs by solving software conflicts and registry errors that were causing issues like you are experiencing. Do the Clean and Registry portions of CCleaner both. If it finds a ton of stuff, run it again.

Then let's check for the possibility of some poorly written malware giving you these problems. Run Malwarebytes, TotalAV, or whatever your favorite malware killer is.

Might save you a re-install of Win and all your games and apps.

Ferrin

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

I used CCleaner and Malwarebytes. It did not help, i still have freezes. During the Malware bytes scan it froze and stop scanning, HOWEVER (the time elapsed was still counting). Also as I was going to another website it showed that the webpage was loading but it was blank until the end of the freeze. If the time elapsed was not frozen, that rules out the possibility of a hardware issue right?
Still,at this point i feel like I should return my GPU, get a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
"Still,at this point i feel like I should return my GPU, get a new one and see if that fixes the problem."

Seems a bit extreme. But yes, it would be nice to have a different gfx card to test with before doing a clean install of the OS and all apps. I was going to ask if you had access to another one.

Solution

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Tennis987 : "Webpages loading, Videos stop loading, and games freezing?"

System Specs:
FX 8350
GTX 1060 6G
8G DDR3 Ripjaws
Corsair CX 650W Bronze
Some MSI board with a long name
A single 1TB HDD
My problem started when i upgraded to my new GPU. I was browsing the web and my pages too forever to load. I noticed that when i tried to open other things everything was non responsive. It was not frozen so much as it didn't open. Then all of a sudden everything opened popped up instantly. Then i started to watch a video. The video stopped loading. Its like my internet cut out even though it works fine. And finally i started to play games. In single player it freezes for a good minute and in multiplayer i get disconnected. During a malware scan the scan itself froze but the timer did not. This leads me to believe it is not a PC, hardware crash but a software issue.Also when i type in my search bar on Start, it crashes as soon as i type in something . Temps for GPU and CPU are never above 60 c.
I tried everything.
CCleaner
Virus and Malware cleanup
Installing older drivers and reinstalling fresh ones.
Running DDU to get rid of my old AMD drivers
Reseting Router/Modem

My last option is reinstalling windows or getting a new GPU
P.S :Before I knew my old GPU fried i did tests to see if it really was dead that included turning it on and holding down the power button to turn it off. Is it possible this affected anything?