Question Computer freezes only when NOT gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2019
I'm really hoping someone here can help me out, I've tried most of the normal options and gotten absolutely nowhere...

First off, when I say "freeze" I mean completely frozen. No mouse movement, no keyboard input, the computer is useless and the last image that was displayed on the monitor is stuck there.
The time to freeze is variable, but can happen anywhere from 30 seconds after boot to 10-15 minutes after boot. The freezes can happen anywhere, including at the login screen if I never logged in.
These freezes ONLY happen when I don't have a video game launched. I've used this to enable usage of other applications like OpenOffice - as long as I have a game launched, I can use my computer normally.
I've played games for hours on end and never gotten a freeze, so I'm pretty certain it just doesn't happen with games launched.

Things I've done to try and fix the freezes:
-Update firmware on all my hardware
-Update drivers for everything
-RAM check through Windows 10's memory checker and through a 3rd party RAM checker
-Disk check on my boot drive with chkdsk and WD's own software for SSDs
-Temperature checking against all my components. My CPU is steady at 45-55 degrees, staying under 60 even if overclocked (i have tested w/o overclock, still freezes). My GPU is 60 degrees. Everything else is under 40.
-Some virus checking with Malwarebytes, but only free checks. Probably will pay for BitDefender just to make sure..
-Messed a bit with BIOS but haven't done a full-blown reset yet.

My computer specs:
-CPU Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz
-Video Card Nvidia GTX 1070 ZOTAC
-RAM 16GB DDR3 @ 662MHz
-Motherboard ASRock P67 Performance
-Hard drive(s): WDS100T2BOA SSD, WD1600AAJB HDD, Corsair Force GT SSD, WD20EZRX HDD, WD2500JS HDD
-Optical ASUS DRW-24B1ST
-Operating System Windows 10 Education 64-bit
-HyperX headphones

Thanks in advance for any help

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Crazy shoot from the hip idea, but disable all power save features both in windows and in the bios. It could be one of them is acting up in lower power usage states causing the system to freeze.

Jun 29, 2019
Hey, i had this problem to, dont wait to long with fixing it bqs it can break your gpu.

What i did was open up the pc to search for a round battery located somewhere on the motherboard, for me it was located under the gpu so i had to take my gpu out to, then unclick the battery and put a new one in it. Problem should be fixed now

What this battery is used for it things like the time, date and other smal things it needs to take track of when your pc is off.

Hope this helped you and have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.