Question Computer freezes when web browsing, but never when gaming.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I have a weird issue I've been having ever since I got my current PC. When gaming my PC never crashes or has any stability problems. But sometimes when I'm just watching a video on youtube or something, the computer will completely freeze. Any audio playing will cut out or just loop. You can oddly still move the mouse and use the taskmanager, nothing responds when you click on it.

NEVER freezes up when I'm gaming, only when I'm completely idle and browsing the internet.

Should I just get a new PC?

Idle temps are pretty okay with the CPU never exceeding 50c idle and the GPU never exceeding 40c idle.

Here's my setup.....

GPU:RTX 3060
CPU:Ryzen 5 5600x
Storage: 1TB SSD
RAM:16GB

I have a weird issue I've been having ever since I got my current PC. When gaming my PC never crashes or has any stability problems. But sometimes when I'm just watching a video on youtube or something, the computer will completely freeze. Any audio playing will cut out or just loop. You can oddly still move the mouse and use the taskmanager, nothing responds when you click on it.

NEVER freezes up when I'm gaming, only when I'm completely idle and browsing the internet.

Should I just get a new PC?

Idle temps are pretty okay with the CPU never exceeding 50c idle and the GPU never exceeding 40c idle.

Here's my setup.....

GPU:RTX 3060
CPU:Ryzen 5 5600x
Storage: 1TB SSD
RAM:16GB
Try a different browser.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
For anyone else having this problem, I think it may be related to having hardware acceleration enabled in Firefox. Turned off hardware acceleration and it hasn't happened again yet.