Question Computer freezing sporadically idle/gaming

charlie45

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hello. I bought this premade tower last year for cheap "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w" Here is the link for its specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06425046

Since then it has froze randomly at any time or under any load(or lack therof). Sometimes it goes weeks without a freeze or multiple times a day(4 today). VERY FRUSTRATING WHILE IN A COMPETITIVE GAME

Once it freezes, the sound is looped, can't use the keyboard etc and I'm forced to hold the power button. Leaving it running after frozen doesn't do anything.

I have tried everything I can imagine.

Reinstalled windows multiple times, updated every single driver/chipset from the HP website, checked temperatures(all fine), memtest, brand new 32gbs RAM(a friends recommendation), power plan, virtual memory, checkdsk, HP's diagnostics, reseated every hardware piece.

It's a great computer when it does not do this. Another friend of mine believes the PSU to be the problem. I have a spare PSU but the motherboard on this HP is some proprietary board and won't fit in a full size case.

I am thinking of buying a new motherboard and basically rebuilding it into another case with a different PSU.

If anyone has any ideas(I know, don't buy premade) before I sink any more money into it, it would be appreciated.

Thank you very much

charlie45

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
The recommended PSU by nVidia for the 1660ti is 450w minimum. I would contact HP support and ask them why it came with only a 400w supply and if they will upgrade it to something larger for you.

I purchased it from eBay, the seller on eBay told me to contact HP support. I contacted HP last year and they basically told me it was a problem with compatibility with the games I play(sure) and needed to purchase some extra HP gaming support package. I was frustrated and gave up after that. I believe it might still be under manufacturer warranty so I’ll try to contact them again..

If they can’t solve the issue, are you somewhat confident that it’s the PSU drawing too much energy or heat and causing the system to be unstable? That’s the only thing that I could imagine it would be.. or the NVMe is faulty in it

charlie45

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Based on the info you've provided the only thing I am sure about is the PSU is below the minimum nVidia recommends.

Why do you think the NVME drive is bad ? Have you installed the NVME drive manufacturers software and tested the drive ?

Just a shot in the dark with NVMe.. I have ran every diagnostics test from HP and Microsoft and also third party programs with or without updates for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts