[SOLVED] Computer freezing, usually while gaming

dickensbryce

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
About 2 weeks ago, my computer has been a piece of junk when it comes to trying to do anything with somewhat graphically intensive games. The game I'm trying to run will freeze, then windows, then the mouse cursor, and finally the audio cuts out. It becomes unresponsive and I must restart. I've tried the following:
  • Replaced HDD with SSD
  • Ran system file checks to check for missing or corrupt files
  • RAM checks through Windows
  • Updating any and all drivers
  • Swapping the RAM slots (there are only two in mine so I just moved one to the other)
  • Disabling GeForce overlay
  • Disabling Anti-virus
  • Clearing drive space
  • Running microsoft anti-malware service
My new SSD runs Windows and has about 2/3 space free. I actually got it the other day, but the issue didn't go away with it. I have a second 4TB HDD with most my games on it.

Something to try...
Download and run HWInfo.
Set it up to log the data to a file.
Let it run.
Then run the game and let all this happen.
The game I'm trying to run will freeze, then windows, then the mouse cursor, and finally the audio cuts out. It becomes unresponsive and I must restart.

Then after it restarts....look at the log file.
It will show the temps and voltages (depending on the MB....but most do) up to the crash.
The main voltages 12, 5 and 3.3 should remain within 5% of those values.
Temps should remain below about 80C depending.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZG9cCHDdFilHOMk6kbQzleL9nINxEMT/view?usp=sharing

log.CSV showed that that temps never exceeded 50C. Voltage also stayed consistent the entire way through the freeze.
Unfortunately I can't see the file because it gets blocked by my work.
So....the GPU and CPU temp didn't go above 60C.....and the three main voltages didn't wander outside the 5%.

Then I would power down....and reseat everything except the CPU.
In other words....power down....remove and reseat power plugs...data plugs....and the GPU itself in the slot.....and any other cards in their slots.
Power up and try it.
If that didn't work....I'd try to run with the bare minimum......1 drive....remove all unneeded peripherals and unneeded cards and try it again

dickensbryce

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Unfortunately I can't see the file because it gets blocked by my work.
So....the GPU and CPU temp didn't go above 60C.....and the three main voltages didn't wander outside the 5%.

Then I would power down....and reseat everything except the CPU.
In other words....power down....remove and reseat power plugs...data plugs....and the GPU itself in the slot.....and any other cards in their slots.
Power up and try it.
If that didn't work....I'd try to run with the bare minimum......1 drive....remove all unneeded peripherals and unneeded cards and try it again
Took GPU, RAM, took out HD Audio, Power Switch, etc., and took out HDD and SSD connections to MOBO. Sprayed all connections with compressed air, and so far it seems to be operating normally. Freezes are inconsistent, so I will update if one happens.

dickensbryce

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Took GPU, RAM, took out HD Audio, Power Switch, etc., and took out HDD and SSD connections to MOBO. Sprayed all connections with compressed air, and so far it seems to be operating normally. Freezes are inconsistent, so I will update if one happens.
marking this as the solution for now, if it comes up again, i'll open another thread.

dickensbryce

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
I previously thought that I solved this issue, but after a day or two, the issue returned. Now the screen goes black and becomes unresponsive. Exact same issue other than the black screen, however. I'd like to add that I have bought a new motherboard and I'll be able to test it by next weekend. I've narrowed it down to being a mobo, PSU, or GPU issue. The PSU is fairly new and seems to function correctly, so I can't really tell. The GPU does just fine in almost every situation, displays fine, no screen tearing. But the motherboard has no I/O shield, and it's been like that for a while. I think I just have bad luck with mobo's but it could still be the PSU. I'll be able to check by swapping PSU's this week since my other PSU is at my other house.

Last edited:

dickensbryce

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
I previously thought that I solved this issue, but after a day or two, the issue returned. Now the screen goes black and becomes unresponsive. Exact same issue other than the black screen, however. I'd like to add that I have bought a new motherboard and I'll be able to test it by next weekend. I've narrowed it down to being a mobo, PSU, or GPU issue. The PSU is fairly new and seems to function correctly, so I can't really tell. The GPU does just fine in almost every situation, displays fine, no screen tearing. But the motherboard has no I/O shield, and it's been like that for a while. I think I just have bad luck with mobo's but it could still be the PSU. I'll be able to check by swapping PSU's this week since my other PSU is at my other house.
Update: I've tested the PSU and the problem still occurs. Gonna test a friend's RAM because the test could've been incorrect, but I've already purchased a new Motherboard.