Computer hard freezing while gaming

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
My computer keeps freezing while i'm gaming, and only while i'm gaming. I'm not sure what is causing it. I've already used system restore, tested my RAM with memtest86, tested my CPU with Prime95 and tested my GPU with MSI Kombustor. System restore didn't fix the issue and none of the tests have resulted in any errors or a hard freeze. My computer isn't making any loud noises and I don't believe my CPU or GPU are overheating. If it's a problem with my power supply or MOBO, then I don't know how to tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

OK, A 120GB SSD is rather small by today's standards. If it becomes full because of the swap File, then that could be the source of your freezes. The system tries to write to the swap file, but there is no room.
Try moving the swap file to your HDD.

Welcome to Tom's!
Could you please give us a list of your current components(makes,models,capacities,etc.)?

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
GPU - 1070

CPU - i5-6600k

RAM - Evo Potenza DDR4 2400 MHz

MOBO - z170

Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 550 g2 80+ gold

I also have an h100i v2 liquid cooler and all of this is in a corsair carbide 400c tower

Edit: Edited the power supply, thought it was a SeaSonic but it isn't

How much ram do you have? What storage devices do you have, SSDs or HDDs?

Freezes tend to be memory related, while random restarts and boots tend to be power related. Memory includes not only ram but any storage device, such as Hard disks or SSDs.

That being said, since the PSU supplies power to EVERYTHING, memory performance can be affected by a failing PSU.

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

16 gigs of RAM, I have a 120 gb SSD that I have Windows and a few other things installed on. The bulk of my stuff is installed on a 1 tb HDD.

Where is your swap file located, the SSD or the HDD?
Here is a tutorial on the swap/page file:
https://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

I think it's on my SSD.

OK, A 120GB SSD is rather small by today's standards. If it becomes full because of the swap File, then that could be the source of your freezes. The system tries to write to the swap file, but there is no room.
Try moving the swap file to your HDD.

Solution

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Didn't fix it. Still freezing while gaming.

The freezes come at indeterminate amounts of time if that means anything. It's not any set pattern.

Intermittant problems are the hardest to diagnose. We may have to wait until you can get it to consistantly fail repeatedly before we can have a true solution.

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Appreciate your help regardless. Is there anywhere I can take my computer to get it fixed if this continues without me being able to fix it myself? Would the geek squad at best buy be able to handle this or something?

If the problem is truly intermittant, then any repair shop will have the same problem fixing it as you. IMHO, I wouldn't trust GeekSquad to fix a toaster, let alone a PC. YMMV.

TheGhostOfReagan

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Just replying here one last time to say that while this didn't fix my computer's freezing, it does seem to have greatly decreased the frequency of the freezes.