[SOLVED] Computer hard-rebooting while gaming

Nov 28, 2020
Hi All!

My PC is hard-rebooting while in mid-game. My three test games have been CoD Modern Warfare, Fallout 4, and The Witcher 3. The issue is most-easily reproduced when playing fallout 4 -- anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes into the game, the PC will perform a clean reboot with no warning or indication at all.

My Initial PC specs were:
  • ASRock x470 Master SLI/ac
  • AMD Ryzen 2700x
  • 64 GB RAM (16x4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200 (F4-3200C16D-32GVK))
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB (Boot Drive)
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB (Gaming Drive)
  • EVGA GEForce RTX 2070
  • Corsair HX 850
Browsing through the Event Viewer logs, the only pertinent messages come after the reboot:
  • The previous system shutdown at 4:20:47 PM on ‎11/‎28/‎2020 was unexpected.
  • The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
There is no indication or direct faulting error in the Application Event Viewer logs.

I feel like I have tried everything. The below is mostly a comprehensive list of what I've tried:
  • Taking out all RAM sticks and testing one at a time. The PC crashed on each individual RAM stick
  • Down-clocked the RAM sticks to 1866 Mhz
  • Downloaded HWMonitor and tracked power and temperatures before a crash
    • The CPU temperatures reached 75 degrees, but averaged 65-72 degrees
    • The GPU temperatures reached 80 degrees, but averaged 70 degrees
    • The total power seemed to peak at 400-500 watts (hard to get an exact number!)
  • Updated NVIDIA drivers to the latest
  • Downloaded PRIME95 to stress test CPU and RAM
    • Out of 25 tests averaging an hour or so, I believe the computer crashed once
    • No outlying temperatures when monitoring CPU temp via HWMonitor
  • Downloaded FurMark to stress test GPU
    • No crashes observed
    • No outlying temperatures when monitoring GPU temp via HWMonitor
  • Ran steam games with the -safemode command line parameter
The tests above led me to believe the RAM was fine (the computer crashed when using each stick separately), the GPU was fine (no crashes when stress testing), the CPU might be okay (one crash in multiple attempts), and that the computer was not using extensive power or getting too hot.

I found a few posts on this forum where folks had similar issues, and two people said they upgraded/replaced the motherboard to resolve the issue.

Seeing as it was black friday yesterday, I bought a new motherboard and CPU to try and circumvent the issue. I installed them yesterday, and re-installed windows. So the new hardware is:
  • (New) MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI
  • (New) AMD Ryzen 3700x
  • 64 GB RAM (16x4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200 (F4-3200C16D-32GVK))
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB (Boot Drive)
  • Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB (Gaming Drive)
  • EVGA GEForce RTX 2070
  • Corsair HX 850
Unfortunately, even after getting the new hardware and completely re-installing windows, my PC is still hard-rebooting when playing Fallout 4, the Witcher 3, and CoD Modern Warfare.

So seeing as the Motherboard and CPU are completely new and the issue is still occurring, I really do not know what the issue might be. Unfortunately I do not have an extra GPU to test with, but stress testing the GPU leads me to believe that it is not really the culprit either. With that, I really have

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom

Nov 28, 2020
Unexpected restarts is usually the main sign, hence why I asked that. Do you have another PSU you could test with?
Ah not at the moment. I guess on Cyber Monday I will keep my eyes peeled for one and will update the thread shortly!

But it definitely seems like the PSU is the general consensus, so we'll give it a shot!

Thanks for your help!