Question Computer heats up really quickly and the CPU (i think) starts making a ton of noise when running certain apps / games ?

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Hello, recently i noticed that when running certain games or apps my computer would make a lot more noise and start heating up a bit. It wasn't that much of a problem so i just assumed it's working a bit more than it could or maybe just a little bit of dust caught in my parts. I also noticed it may have something to do with the amount of memory used when i took a look at the task manager, but i also noticed that some games will take more memory than others but they won't produce the issue. It wasn't until yesterday that i was running a specific game and slightly more heavy than most games i play called "Cult of the Lamb" (mentioning the name for whatever reason it have to do with) and my computer turned into a racing car, i mean it was making a TON of noise and it was so hot, it would stop doing it when i minimized the game but i didn't want it to continue at all so i shut the game down and didn't open it since. I don't want my computer to get damaged as i don't wanna replace it soon and it's not really old.
I would like to know what could be the cause of this issue? I should emphasis that the computer heats up REALLY quickly, so i don't think it's really a cooling issue but i'm not an expert so i'm open minded...

My specs:

ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Operating SystemWindows 10 64-bit
RAM16 GB

Colif

Win 11 Master
try opening case and see if it is dusty, could be you just need to clean the fans, and heatsinks. That will increase temps if they full of dust.

Unless you have an AIO or hdd, the only things that can make noise normally are fans as they only moving parts.

i have same CPU and GPU so I can guess PC about 2 years old. If you haven't cleaned fans in that time, they bound to be dirty. Mine are.

Last edited:

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
try opening case and see if it is dusty, could be you just need to clean the fans, and heatsinks. That will increase temps if they full of dust.

Unless you have an AIO or hdd, the only things that can make noise normally are fans as they only moving parts.

i have same CPU and GPU so I can guess PC about 2 years old. If you haven't cleaned fans in that time, they bound to be dirty. Mine are.

Hey thanks for the reply. I pretty recently used a condensed air spray to clean my PC but i'm assuming it's not enough to clean the fans thoroughly. I'd need to disconnect them from the computer right? I don't have any computer building experience so i'm not sure how to do that myself. Unless it's super easy to do, should i just hand that to an expert?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Condensed air can do a good job, I only use paint brushes myself so I can't talk. I can't afford an air compressor or anything to blow dust out of case.

Shouldn't need to remove fans to clean them.

Is it summer there? that can make a difference too.

try running this and see what temps you getting and tell us, so I can see if it is hotter than normal

What case is it in? How many fans has it got?

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Condensed air can do a good job, I only use paint brushes myself so I can't talk. I can't afford an air compressor or anything to blow dust out of case.

Shouldn't need to remove fans to clean them.

Is it summer there? that can make a difference too.

try running this and see what temps you getting and tell us, so I can see if it is hotter than normal

What case is it in? How many fans has it got?

It's summer yes but it's not hot in my room. When my computer gets hot i mean REALLY hot. Not sure what is the name of the case but, it has currently 1 fan that doesn't work and the other fan was removed by someone that helped us fix the computer after the motherboard died during power outage. The guy said the fan doesn't do anything other than fancy RBG lights and had to remove them because the new motherboard was slightly too big.
Also i opened the case rn and discovered the fans at the bottom of the GPU isn't working and it's also quite hot. No game was running. I will try your app to see the temps before i launch the game and after. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us some photos of the PC?

Having no fans is not going to assist air flow, that is why its screaming in games.

I would fix that

new motherboard? so you squeezed a new mb into an old case.

what was replaced? changed?

Last edited:

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
can you show us some photos of the PC?

Having no fans is not going to assist air flow, that is why its screaming in games.

I would fix that

new motherboard? so you squeezed a new mb into an old case.

what was replaced? changed?

View: https://imgur.com/a/vEBu3IE

It's only screaming in some games, in some more than others. I'm not sure why the fans of the GPU aren't working either :c

Colif

Win 11 Master
fans on gpu may not spin until its at a certain temp

what is roof like? is it vented? If so, you could put 2 exhaust fans above the CPU & it could keep temps down.
Otherwise at very least put one behind the CPU on rear of case.

I wouldn't play any games until you have some fans that work apart from CPU/GPU one.

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
fans on gpu may not spin until its at a certain temp

what is roof like? is it vented? If so, you could put 2 exhaust fans above the CPU & it could keep temps down.
Otherwise at very least put one behind the CPU on rear of case.

I wouldn't play any games until you have some fans that work apart from CPU/GPU one.

The roof of the case has many little holes so air can out. Thanks for the advice, where can i get exhaust fans for my PC from? I will definitely work on a solution.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can get them from online stores but it would help to know what sizes it can take as its likely you want 120 or 140mm fans, might help to see if there are any mounting points.

is the mesh on the left of this photo at top of case?
dUaZLKe.jpeg

he removed the rear fan?

fan at front is broken one? it doesn't look like it would have got a lot of air there anyway.

did front fan still work when he replaced motherboard? You could just ask the same people to put fans in for you.
I would replace front one as its better than nothing.

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Can get them from online stores but it would help to know what sizes it can take as its likely you want 120 or 140mm fans, might help to see if there are any mounting points.

is the mesh on the left of this photo at top of case?
dUaZLKe.jpeg

he removed the rear fan?

fan at front is broken one? it doesn't look like it would have got a lot of air there anyway.

did front fan still work when he replaced motherboard? You could just ask the same people to put fans in for you.
I would replace front one as its better than nothing.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X7Zdfph

The X is where the fan used to be, the circle is the top of case

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if any screw points in the top of case, the vented holes probably wouldn't line up with screws.
need something like the group of 5 holes at both ends of the space where rear fan would go. I can't tell from your photo.

Need to replace what looks like a 120mm fan on front as well. I could be wrong about size.

I would get a repair store to help.
They may have a suggestion for where to get fans from. I don't know who to chose, Noctua might be a bit expensive. Corsair make good fans too.
Be nice if they could squeeze one back in behind CPU if not top.

how many fans you get also depends on what motherbaord connections you have.

Gigabyte Aorus motherboard, which one? i recognised writing on the vrm heatsink. I just looked on mine.
why does the VRM heatsink look like its got plastic on it?

Last edited:

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
See if any screw points in the top of case, the vented holes probably wouldn't line up with screws.
need something like the group of 5 holes at both ends of the space where rear fan would go. I can't tell from your photo.

Need to replace what looks like a 120mm fan on front as well. I could be wrong about size.

I would get a repair store to help.
They may have a suggestion for where to get fans from. I don't know who to chose, Noctua might be a bit expensive. Corsair make good fans too.
Be nice if they could squeeze one back in behind CPU if not top.

how many fans you get also depends on what motherbaord connections you have.
First off, thanks for the help.
Second, here's a better picture of the top. I will try to talk with some shop to see what can be done about it. For now i opened the glass of the case and aimed my personal fan at it maybe it will help a bit :l

20220812_102808.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think that can take 120 or 140mm fans in roof it seems. looks like its set up for radiators. Not sure of distance between the slots.

Knowing what case it is would remove all doubts. Can you show me the front? Does it have any logos on it?

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I think that can take 120 or 140mm fans in roof it seems. looks like its set up for radiators. Not sure of distance between the slots.

Knowing what case it is would remove all doubts. Can you show me the front? Does it have any logos on it?

Front image, ignore my feet. Antec case.
20220812_112041.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Looks like this one: https://www.antec.com/product/case/nx310
has it got rgb strips on front?
top matches as does what it looks like inside.

2 x 140 or 2 x 120mm on top
3 x 120 or 2x 140 on front
2x120mm on bottom but i would ignore those.

you could just put 2 x 140mm fans in front and leave exhausts free, it would probably blow all the heat out.
or 2 x 140mm intake, 1 x 120 mm exhaust in top above cpu.

Yes! this is the case! Thank you so much this is very helpful :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
bottom ones lack air intakes apart from getting air from front fans. Only vent on bottom of case underneath PSU and likely used to exit heat. So fans have no real cool air source below.

same applies in my PC though.

But you have plenty of choices elsewhere.

I like solving mysteries :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
why does the thing behind CPU heatsink that says Team Up Fight On appear to have plastic on it?
D6lcgLD.jpeg

mine is black like yours but doesn't look the same?
It looks to have a plastic sheet over it. I would remove as it could be making pc warmer than it needs to be. its a heatsink for the vrm.

what motherboard is it? it looks like an X570, the VRM on the older boards looks different and the B550 are as well.
Mine is an X570.
It probably doesn't help my case is so dark
cNDzjuz.jpg

I hate taking photos of my pc, I always see dust I didn't notice before. Dark tinted glass means I can't see it unless I remove it for photos.

More I look, more I am convinced you have my motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi (or just elite)
I even see the rgb strips I just found on mine under GPU lol

Last edited:

Bittex

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
why does the thing behind CPU heatsink that says Team Up Fight On appear to have plastic on it?
D6lcgLD.jpeg

mine is black like yours but doesn't look the same?
It looks to have a plastic sheet over it. I would remove as it could be making pc warmer than it needs to be. its a heatsink for the vrm.

what motherboard is it? it looks like an X570, the VRM on the older boards looks different and the B550 are as well.
Mine is an X570.
It probably doesn't help my case is so dark
cNDzjuz.jpg

I hate taking photos of my pc, I always see dust I didn't notice before. Dark tinted glass means I can't see it unless I remove it for photos.

More I look, more I am convinced you have my motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi (or just elite)
I even see the rgb strips I just found on mine under GPU lol
I don't remember the name of the motherboard, but it could be like yours. The plastic kinda came with the PC and to remove it completely i'd have to remove the cpu because the entire part has plastic on it, ill try my best.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe just leave it on until you get fans put in, and point it out to repair people, it should have been taken off when you put motherboard in.
not the black parts, just the plastic film over them.
It could be adding to temperatures, it was just there to protect mb in shipping.

There are a variety of problems here.

The first problem is that the memory is installed in the wrong DIMM slots for two DIMM operation. They should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots, not the A1 and B1 slots which is where they are installed currently. By design, they should not be installed there without the A2 and B2 slots already being populated.

Second, the CPU cooler is facing the wrong way. Air coolers should be installed so that airflow is oriented from the front of the case to the back of the case. I know we occasionally see people do it the way you have it, but it is wrong, and rather than getting (IF there were fans installed) the proper cool airflow from the outside flowing into the case and directly to the CPU cooler you are instead getting hot air coming off the graphics card which is definitely not helping to cool your CPU especially since there is no airflow through the case, or very little anyhow.

Third, you absolutely need at the VERY LEAST, one intake fan in the front of the case and one exhaust fan at the rear of the case and it would be MUCH better if you had two front intake fans, a rear exhaust fan and a TOP-rear exhaust fan. And until you get some kind of adequate case fan arrangement installed it would be a good idea to simply leave the side panel off.

It probably wouldn't be the worst idea to remove the protective plastic from the rear I/O shield and any heatsinks on the motherboard that has it either.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A nice set of fans for the price,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-5-pack-acfan00137a
a 5 pck for that price of this quality is a good deal, only thing is the silver colored screws if that would bother you.

The first problem is that the memory is installed in the wrong DIMM slots for two DIMM operation. They should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots, not the A1 and B1 slots which is where they are installed currently. By design, they should not be installed there without the A2 and B2 slots already being populated.
Seems to me that the dimms are in the right slots. nrs 2+4 from the cpu out.

Second, the CPU cooler is facing the wrong way. Air coolers should be installed so that airflow is oriented from the front of the case to the back of the case. I know we occasionally see people do it the way you have it, but it is wrong, and rather than getting (IF there were fans installed) the proper cool airflow from the outside flowing into the case and directly to the CPU cooler you are instead getting hot air coming off the graphics card which is definitely not helping to cool your CPU especially since there is no airflow through the case, or very little anyhow.
Other thing is that , if i'm not mistaken, the fan of the cpu cooler is blowing down. See an open structure on top so not the side of the motor. Even when keeping the cpu cooler this way make sure the fan blows to the top and the hot air has a better chance to get out of the case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems to me that the dimms are in the right slots. nrs 2+4 from the cpu out.
that is how mine are.

A nice set of fans for the price,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-5-pack-acfan00137a
a 5 pck for that price of this quality is a good deal, only thing is the silver colored screws if that would bother you.

If he were to have 2 intakes and 2 exhaust fans, I think it be better to have 2 x 140 mm as front just to ensure its positive pressure. If all 4 fans were 120mm, wouldn't that be close to balanced and not really get us anywhere. Sure, there would be some airflow in case.
admittedly case can take 3 x 120mm in front so that would work too. 3 intake, 2 exhaust

its possible the repair shop will fix any of the shortcomings in the build.

Last edited:
You're right on the DIMM slots. Looking at the picture before it looked like they were in the 1st and 3rd slots, so my bad on that one. I should have enlarged the image.

Yes, not only is the CPU cooler heatsink installed with the wrong orientation, but the fan is facing the wrong direction as well. If you flipped the fan over the CPU cooler would work somewhat better but I'd still recommend that unbolt the cooler and move it 90 degrees clockwise, in which case the fan could remain oriented the way it is afterwards.