[SOLVED] Computer is paralyzed efter adding RAM

Aug 30, 2020
Hi
Here´s my problem, if you can help I sure would appreciate it.
I have a rather old computer that I use for work. Since 2012. Actually it does that job rather well. but recently I have had to use more and more software that called for me to increase the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb.
I made sure to get identical memory to add, but after installing it, the computer went paralyzed almost. It takes her 4x longer to start up, twice as long to open windows after logging in, everything takes forever to open, they sometimes crash, and if I leave her alone for awhile, I notice the HDD light constantly blinking like it´s constantly reading/writing.
I have looked at the Bios and made sure the memory speed is correct. I even tried updating the bios, but the latest driver is rather old, but it did update.
I took out the added memory, and after restarting the computer is back as it was, working fine. I even shut it down, took out the older memory and just put in the new, and as long there are just 2x8GB memory sticks in there, everything is fine. But if i add another 2x8Gb, the computer goes lame. ...... I´m lost..:(

Here is the rig I have
Intel i7 950 3.07GHz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Windows 10 Home 64
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6Gb

The memory I add is G.Skill Ripjaws, F3-1600C9D-16GXM (DDR3-1600-CL9-9-9-24 1.50V)
As I said, the previous memory I have is identical, had that for a while, never any problem

Wish I could insert pictures from my computer here, I have screenshots from Speccy and CoreTemp that shows that the computer does identify the RAM (shows as 32Gb) after installation.

Any ideas?

Thank´s for the help...

Solution
Hi
I have a rather old computer that I use for work. Since 2012. Actually it does that job rather well. but recently I have had to use more and more software that called for me to increase the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb.
I made sure to get identical memory to add, but after installing it, the computer went paralyzed almost. It takes her 4x longer to start up, twice as long to open windows after logging in, everything takes forever to open, they sometimes crash, and if I leave her alone for awhile, I notice the HDD light constantly blinking like it´s constantly reading/writing.
I have looked at the Bios and made sure the memory speed is correct. I even tried updating the...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi
I have looked at the Bios and made sure the memory speed is correct. I even tried updating the bios, but the latest driver is rather old, but it did update.
I took out the added memory, and after restarting the computer is back as it was, working fine. I even shut it down, took out the older memory and just put in the new, and as long there are just 2x8GB memory sticks in there, everything is fine. But if i add another 2x8Gb, the computer goes lame. ...... I´m lost..:(

Here is the rig I have
Intel i7 950 3.07GHz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Windows 10 Home 64
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6Gb

The memory I add is G.Skill Ripjaws, F3-1600C9D-16GXM (DDR3-1600-CL9-9-9-24 1.50V)
As I said, the previous memory I have is identical, had that for a while, never any problem

Wish I could insert pictures from my computer here, I have screenshots from Speccy and CoreTemp that shows that the computer does identify the RAM (shows as 32Gb) after installation.

Any ideas?

Thank´s for the help...
From Gigabyte specs page: (it is a triple channel system 24GB limit)
  • 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory(Note 1)
  • Dual/3 channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
I would try using 3 sticks rather than 4 to see if that will work.

Reactions: ArnarE
Solution
Try a small tweak. Right click on the Wonky Windows icon and select Run. When that shows, type in msconfig then hit the Enter key.

You need StartUp and then Boot and Advanced Options. Look at Number of Processors then Maximum memory. Tick both then wind up the clocks to the highest level.

OK both forms and restart the machine. Hope it works for you.

Reactions: ArnarE
Aug 30, 2020
From Gigabyte specs page: (it is a triple channel system 24GB limit)
  • 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory(Note 1)
  • Dual/3 channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
I would try using 3 sticks rather than 4 to see if that will work.

Whoa..:oops: I never thought about that..that could explain it
Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS