Question Computer keeps dying, about to give up. Any suggestions would be welcomed

Feb 25, 2024
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded my cpu and gpu.

I have a ASUSTek Prime X570-P Rev X, Ryzen 5800x3d and PNY rtx 4070ti.

After a couple of months, my computer would crash and reboot itself when playing online games. Works fine on web browsing etc.

Thought it was overheating, but temps and fans look normal. (4 fans and a cooler master)

Moved to test the psu. Was a tx750m, swapped it out for a rm1000x. Same results: crash and reboot.

The gpu and cpu are the only new changes. I swapped out the gpu for an old 580 or something, same results. Crash and reboot.

Thought it might be ram then. (32g ddr4) Swapped out my ram with good ram from a friend and same results. Crash and reboot.

I reset the bios by removing the battery for 30 minutes. Same results.

Figured it had to be the motherboard. Purchased a brand new motherboard Asus prime b550. Plugged one ram stick into b2. Plugged the motherboard (24 pin) and cpu (8 pin) power cords into the psu. Connected my ssd with windows into the new motherboard. Connected my power button to the new motherboard. Turned it on and the motherboard lighting lit up. The q-leds lit up as follows: dram=orange. CPU= red. VGA=white. Boot=green. Dram and cpu turn off. The other two stay on for a while.
Monitor plugged directly into the motherboard.

Only thing plugged in is the two power cords for cpu and motherboard, hdmi into motherboard, two ssds (also plugged into psu) and the cpu.

No display and after a while all motherboard lights turn off.

CPU is brand new bought in March. Pins are pristine and not bent. It is correctly seated.

As a complete novice, I have learned a lot about computers. But I’m about ready to throw in the proverbial towel. Is anyone able to help, I would be more that appreciative.

**update: I learned I had to use a gpu. So I plugged the monitor into the gpu and booted the computer up. I was able to see a display. Received a cpu fan error message (no fans are installed) and prompted to hit f1. When I get into the settings screen it crashes and doesn’t reboot.

Last edited:
You can't just replace the motherboard with the same install of Windows.
I suggest you go back to the original MB you had issues with, and reinstall Windows after deleting all partitions, a true clean install - save your data somewhere if needed before. You want to install on a drive that's all free space.
Reseat your memory into the MB and double check all parts connected are secured and properly connected - it won't hurt to check the CPU pins also.

Feb 25, 2024
Do you happen to still have the old CPU?

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem and the only things you changed was CPU/GPU. DRAM could potentially be in the equation, but that rarely goes bad without heat/voltage issues.
I think I do. I think it most likely be an issue with the cpu eventhough it is only several months old?

On the new motherboard I am testing out, should I put a cpu fan on the cpu? Would a lack of fan cause the computer to crash out of the f1 bios settings screen?
You can't just replace the motherboard with the same install of Windows.
I suggest you go back to the original MB you had issues with, and reinstall Windows after deleting all partitions, a true clean install - save your data somewhere if needed before. You want to install on a drive that's all free space.
Reseat your memory into the MB and double check all parts connected are secured and properly connected - it won't hurt to check the CPU pins also.
Thanks for the response. I understand about the new motherboard and windows. I also unplugged any ssds and booted up the new motherboard with the new cpu and one stick of ram. I got a no cpu fan error and was prompted to hit f1 to enter settings. Once in the bios settings screen the computer crashed. Is this an effect of a bad cpu or having no cpu fan? (Or both)

I will also try to your suggestion of a reinstall of windows on the old motherboard. How would windows cause the crashing if it was working for several months and only crashes when playing online games on the old motherboard?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What error codes, warnings, and even informational events (if any) are being shown in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer?

Look in Reliabilty History/Monitor. End user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns. Check details for specific error codes which may or may not be helpful.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand. However Event Viewer is much more comprehensive.

To help:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

And you can also take screenshots via either tool to post.

For example: Open Reliability History/Monitor and set the View for Days. Epand the window so all can been seen. Select a date that has the most entries of any sort.

Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com)

If necessary, take a couple more screenshot of other dates as well.