Question Computer keeps freezing after upgrading from 16GB to 32GB RAM

Apr 28, 2024
Hey!

As the title says, I upgraded from a single 16GB 2400MHz CL17 RAM stick to another one which is 16GB 2666MHz CL19 and now my computer has frequent freezes which require a hard restart (long pressing the shutdown button). May I get some help in finding out what the problem is? Faulty RAM, Faulty Motherboard, CPU or just a compatibility issue?
Sometimes it takes a while for the system to freeze, sometimes it's happens very quickly. I've tried reinstalling windows and actually upgraded to Windows 11 while I was at it, still didn't fix the issue at the time I'm writing this. If you've got any tips I'm glad to hear them! Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge)
MB: ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0
Memory: 1x 16GB 2400MHz CL17 1.2v + 1x 16GB 2666MHz CL19 1.2v
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Windows: Windows 11 Pro running on an ADATA Legend 900 M.2 SSD.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the problems. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

could just be the timing difference between them.
Could be running two unmatched sticks as well.

Generally, if you don't want any hassles, you buy 2 matching sticks in a set and they should not create errors.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Apr 28, 2024
So I just ran it, it took a while and after it ended I just briefly saw Errors: 20900+2 (or something like that, either way, clearly not 0). After that the screen went black and then it was flashing random symbols and colors like in the photo I've attached.
HpplwSf.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024
So I just ran it, it took a while and after it ended I just briefly saw Errors: 20900+2 (or something like that, either way, clearly not 0). After that the screen went black and then it was flashing random symbols and colors like in the photo I've attached.
HpplwSf.jpeg
I ran the memtest on the new RAM I bought, do I just consider them bad or should I run memtest again?

Colif

Win 11 Master
20k errors is way too many.
AS I suggested, I would just buy 2 sticks in a set and you probably won't get any problems.
Ryzen systems work so much better with matching ram

RMA if you have proof of purchase, most ram has a life time guarantee.

Apr 28, 2024
So I just finished the test on the old RAM stick, 0 errors. I installed both of them back in to check if it'll crash again, if it does so I'll just RMA, I have 99 month warranty, free return and everything on the stick so it's no problem, just a bummer since I was looking forward to gaming with the 32 gigs (huge FPS upgrade in a game I like).

I'm gonna try to test the stick in the other slot if it crashes again and try to get a pic of the errors, thanks for the help so far.

Apr 28, 2024
Did you test the new one again? Was it the one with 20k errors?

Putting it in without knowing its okay will just lead to more bsod.

Only answer is to use 16gb old stick and RMA new one in that case.
Was just testing it again, it was around 54% and the system restarted, there were some errors at 49%, I'm going to attach a pic.
xTGSkJ3.jpeg

Ok. Try this:
Go into BIOS and set
Latencies 17-17-17-39​
Frequency 2400mhz​
DDR voltage 1.35V​
Command Rate 2T.​
(Both modules should support this mode)

Save settings, reboot, test loading into windows with single module. Should work fine.
Then shutdown, install both modules and test loading into windows again.

After that you can try running memtest with 2 modules.