Question Computer Keeps Shutting Off With No Error

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I really need help..

I built my new desktop a couple weeks ago, it was working just fine for a while but as of today, it keeps shutting down without any errors. It first happened once while playing a game, then it happened again while playing the same game. (Ready Or Not) The very next day (today) while just using the browser, not gaming or anything. It shutdown again. When it shuts down, it dosn't give any errors or pop ups, no blue screen, just the screen very suddenly goes black. Same with my backlight keyboard and mouse.

I have no idea why this is happening. as of now though, I cant even keep my computer on for more than 2 minutes tops. If I get past the lock screen it's only a matter of seconds, 1 minute tops before it happens again. Sometimes it even happens while trying to restart again.
no new software or hardware was installed

Things I've tried doing..
  • checked all the connections on the motherboard and PSU, verified everything is plugged in where it should be, referencing the motherboards manual.
  • reseated the memory
  • tried using only 1 stick of memory
  • reseated the GPU
  • cleared the cmos (using clear cmos button on the back of the mobo)
  • updated the bios and firmware using a flashdrive + EZ Flash in the bios menu.
  • checked temps, all fans are running, temps in open hardware monitor were fine. always floating around 34c or so for the cpu, and 20c for the mobo.
  • noticed the code on the psychical mobo says b4 when it shuts down on me. not sure what it means even though the manual says it means "usb hotplug"
  • I have tried unplugging all usb peripherals and clearing the cmos and restarting.. no results. (saw that recommendation somewhere else)
I'm not sure how to test the PSU nor do I have the equipment honestly.

SPECS:

Motherboard: Asus ROG VIII Dark Hero
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
CPU Fan: Noctua D15
PSU: EVGA 850 Watt 80 Gold Plus
GPU: Radeon 6600XT
RAM: 32GBs Corsair ddr4 3600hz
SSD: 2TB Samsung NVMe
Case: Fractal Torrent

Any help is appreciated, I have no idea what to do. at this point its so bad I cant even keep it on long enough to check the event viewer.
I even tried resetting using windows recover options, (keeping my data) it shut off again while even trying to do that.

I do have some screenshots of a couple errors in event viewer, from when I was able to access it. Again its so bad now I just cant get into it.

"Error 1101: Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"
"Error 18: WHEA-Logger
A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 2"

(transcripts from screenshots since I cant directly place images in here)

Lutfij

Titan
You don't, you rule out the issue on your platform using donor/replacement parts. In your case, you should borrow a PSU from a friend or neighbor to rule out your PSU being the culprit.

You might want to also keep notes on your temps when you experience the shut downs. Thermal protection can be a one cause of the issue. As for your PSU, EVGA is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage, what is the model of the unit? Same story for your Samsung SSD. Which slot is it populating on the board?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
You don't, you rule out the issue on your platform using donor/replacement parts. In your case, you should borrow a PSU from a friend or neighbor to rule out your PSU being the culprit.

You might want to also keep notes on your temps when you experience the shut downs. Thermal protection can be a one cause of the issue. As for your PSU, EVGA is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage, what is the model of the unit? Same story for your Samsung SSD. Which slot is it populating on the board?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

The only PSU I can potentially get my hands on to test the unit with, is my brothers who lives in a different house so I guess I can hopefully try that soon.

As far as the models go, here are the exact links I used to buy the products.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S2T0B/dp/B07MFZXR1B/ref=sr_1_6?crid=TO6YCYLIDLUJ&keywords=samsung+ssd+2tb+internal&qid=1646176178&s=electronics&sprefix=samsung+ssd+2tb+internal,electronics,88&sr=1-6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797D6G5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The SSD is populating the 1st slot on the motherboard, closest to the CPU.