Computer keeps turning off

goshak93

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hello, my computer keeps turning off by itself.
I thought it was because of a power supply so i bought a new one and installed it.
but it keeps doing the same thing.
sometimes it allows me to enter windows, but then shortly after it turns off again.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i am guessing bad motherboard, but to put it to a test, run memtest to see if you have any errors, if you do, see if you can up your voltage a little and try again, if you still have errors, try another set of memory and run memtest again, if you still have errors - I would say 99% certainty it is your MB, if the new memory has no errors, it is your memory - you can even do test with 1 stick at a time in all the slots, hardly ever do both sticks fail at same time.

pocketdexter

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Overheating computers tend to turn themselves off to prevent further damage. What are each of your component's temperatures?

It could also be a faulty motherboard. You can try to boot it up with minimal configuration. Psu, mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram, and hard drive. If it shuts off, take 1 component out at a time starting with the hard drive.

Lastly, try to swap out good parts into your computer to see if it will shut off. You can confirm which parts work correctly this way.

goshak93

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
eehh thanks for the comments guys, my friend had a look at the tower and said that my motherboard is short circuiting.. i guess im going to have to buy a new one.
thanks