Computer loads windows slow.

kiokureyatsu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi,

My computer takes forever to load up windows. When I first built my computer, it only took 5 - 10 seconds (barely anytime) before it would display the Windows XP load screen. This morning when I turned on my computer, it took like 1 minute to get to that part. It's like my BIOS is going extremely slow. Even hitting "delete" to get to the BIOS settings takes several seconds. Can anyone help me? What's wrong with my computer?

Here are my PC specs if it'd help:
ASUS SLI-Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core
1024mb CORSAIR ram (CAS Latency: 2)
Windows XP Professional
160gb hard drive (130GB used up)

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Sorry dont have much time right now, will post again later BUT:

Run memtest 86+ (shareware) to check your memory for errors
Run DFT (your drive manufactures drive test) for HD errors

Then go through and check fragmentation of C:, if its over about 7-10% defrag. You should consider picking up a trial of Raxco perfect disk. It will defrag your MBR, plus your MFT (master boot record, and mast file table respectifully)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
What kind of connection are you using? A dial up?

You should have a field day on your programs. Clean out those useless programs that you are not using or running. Maybe you got some virus or bugs in your system like adwares and stuff that slows down your system. In your case it's affecting your bios screen, that uncommon. So clean out everything if you can and just leave the os and then build it from there and make sure to have an anti-virus or a security for you system.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi,

My computer takes forever to load up windows. When I first built my computer, it only took 5 - 10 seconds (barely anytime) before it would display the Windows XP load screen. This morning when I turned on my computer, it took like 1 minute to get to that part. It's like my BIOS is going extremely slow. Even hitting "delete" to get to the BIOS settings takes several seconds. Can anyone help me? What's wrong with my computer?

Here are my PC specs if it'd help:
ASUS SLI-Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core
1024mb CORSAIR ram (CAS Latency: 2)
Windows XP Professional
160gb hard drive (130GB used up)

1 ) Get all the latest updates....OS,drivers,AV ect and turn OFF any system restor/backup programs.....reboot.

2 ) With the internet unpluged run any anti-spy program you have...reboot into SAFE MODE.

3 ) While in SAFE MODE run the deepest scan you AV program has.....then reboot into normal mode.

4 ) Run any OS "problem finding/fixing" program you have .....reboot.

5 ) Run RegCleaner (free just google it)...goto registry clean up and check the box that say "do them all"......reboot.

6 ) Run BootVis (free from MS google it) and tell it to tune the systems boot files....reboot.

7 ) Reboot again.

8 ) Defrag at this point....yep reboot!

NOTE: Reboot is just that...do NOT RESTART! Leave the system off and the power unpluged each time for about 3 mins to let all the caps fully drain.

I have some systems that use the same install of XP from the first week it went on sale and not only have I never needed to reinstall but after POST the OS loads to desktop in less than 4 secs.

I do this 1 day each month and run SpinRite 6.0 two times a year to keep all the HD's from ever becomming corrupted.
SpinRite takes overnight to refresh a 100GB drive....thus only two times a year!

Z

kiokureyatsu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I have broadband connection, and I clean up all my old junk all the time. I try to keep my system as organized as possible. I have Norton Anti-Virus, Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Spybot Search & Destroy running on my computer.

I ran a system restore, but it didn't fix the problem. At one point, it even said "FAILED TO LOAD SYSTEM DISKS" at the BIOS. I tried reconnecting the connections in my computer for my hard drive, and when i started it up with only the mouse and keyboard plugged in, it loaded up normally.

Okay here's the weird part, when i plug in all the cables (USB, mic, speakers, etc.) for my peripherals in the back it goes back to the lagging. Is it possible that there's something wrong with those?

I'm going to run all those programs you guys told me to run, and I'll try updating my BIOS.

Thanks.

when i started it up with only the mouse and keyboard plugged in, it loaded up normally.

Okay here's the weird part, when i plug in all the cables (USB, mic, speakers, etc.) for my peripherals in the back it goes back to the lagging.

This is a major clue, but a little confused - you disconnected hdd & cdrom, as well as usb, mic, speakers, etc and it booted to bios normally? - then when you connected everything and slow again? Try connecting one at a time, like cdrom and try booting of a cdrom like ubcd, then connect hdd, then usb, etc. and see what gives.

kiokureyatsu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
when i started it up with only the mouse and keyboard plugged in, it loaded up normally.

Okay here's the weird part, when i plug in all the cables (USB, mic, speakers, etc.) for my peripherals in the back it goes back to the lagging.

This is a major clue, but a little confused - you disconnected hdd & cdrom, as well as usb, mic, speakers, etc and it booted to bios normally? - then when you connected everything and slow again? Try connecting one at a time, like cdrom and try booting of a cdrom like ubcd, then connect hdd, then usb, etc. and see what gives.

No, I disconnected all the stuff in the back on my computer like all the USB cables, speakers, and such. I had all the IDE and SATA stuff inside connected. Maybe I'll try connecting one USB cable at a time. Hmmm..

stryoftheyearxx

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
just use disk defragmentator and disk cleanup the will speed it up alot. I had the same thing before but instead of 1 min it took like 5 mins lol. you can find disk defrag. and disk cleanup in the accessories>system tools

fcshaner

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I suspect you may have a sata HD. If you do, replace the cable. If you have EIDE HD make sure both MB and HD connections are securely seated or if you have another cable, swap it out.

kiokureyatsu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Yeah. I replaced the cable for my SATA HD.

Well guys, my computer is running smooth again. I'm still not too sure what was wrong, but whatever I did it seemed to fix it. Thanks for all the help. :)