Computer loses internet connection for 1-2 seconds while router seems ok

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Whenever it feels like, my computer loses it's connection to internet (browsers not opening pages, raidcall/skype dropping for the duration, online gaming dc from server etc.). I've tried with Thomson 585v8 & Linksys WAG200G and both show the same thing : while all leds work as intended I keep losing the connection for a really small time window (2-3 seconds) and it can happen more than once in a day, almost every day. I've contacted my ISP and they can't find if there's a problem with the line or so, and I don't think it's from my computer (as they say to me sometimes). Could it be my computer, the ethernet cable, the telephone cable, or something else? I am really frustrated and confused about this and it's extremely annoying cause I can't do anything without the risk of internet dropping.If you want more info ask and I will post them.

Solution
it could be the way eset is set ,did you have a firewall on your router and if the answer is yes i would disable the eset firewall settings for test .

centaurius

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Start by connection the cable directly to the computer ehernet port instead of passing it trhough a router/switch.

And anotehr thing, reverse the cable that goes directly from the boradband modem of ISP to computer. Or switch the ethernet cable and see how it goes. If all ok, then connect the router again and try.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Forgot to mention I have one telephone socket and I have a telephone and the router using a splitter on it.No alarms,no etc things that could mess with it.

I really didn't get the first proposal. You mean connecting the ethernet cable to the computer and where else? (When I say router I mean the thomson and linksys in case we say it differently in greek). You mean not using a splitter or something? If no where do you connect the end of the cable that doesn't go to the computer?

I intend to check with my laptop once I have the time but I think I had the same problem. Still not sure about that.
EDIT : When I switched the ends on the ethernet cable router reconnected to the internet as if I switched it off and on again.Is this intended or is this a clue that the cable is acting weird?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
he tell you to connect the network cable directly to your provider system no using your router for the test .also rpive us the name and model of the modem you have from the isp and do the same for the router and how every thing is connect together . note bump is not well seen by mod on the forum read the rules .

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Tried using 2 computers (1 desktop + 1 laptop) and the laptop even in wireless kept working (had it open in twitch.tv for streams while I was playing online games in the other - btw I've noticed I always lose connection mainly while online gaming). I suppose modem is what we call router in greek.My routers are Thomson 585v8 (ISP's one) + Linksys WAG200G (this is what I am using now). I get a telephone cable from the socket in the wall which I connect to a splitter which I connect 2 cables, 1 for telephone device and 1 for linksys/thomson and then from the linksys/thomson with ethernet cable to my pc.
Also , I tried to use DriverGenius to maybe update drivers that are missing but nothing came up for my Asrock mobo, only for intel and realtek. Although it found something for realtek pci-e express nic something which had something to do with ethernet controller and repaired it.Could that have anything to do with the problem?
PS: Sorry about the bump, didn't remember it in rules.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
that is for the linksys http://www.avc.com.hr/eurostar/Artikli/DVR/Router/LinkSys/WAG200G_manuals.pdf and this for the thomson www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.ph they both do the same thing the give internet acces i would check the settings in the thomson dont use the linksys if you dont need it ( seen on the web that thomson are not great for gaming ) read set up and give the result back .

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

The thomson link doesn't work.You mean to check only the thomson one, but the linksys should not need anything?Also re-read my last message cause I feel like that driver for the ethernet thing was creating the whole problem.I will wait till it happens again (notice I said it happens only on 1 of my computers and not both) to do what the link says.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

Asrock H77M is the mobo, also I can't understant why but I had forgotten to scan for virus etc. Eset popped 3 critical warnings which I cleared (2 were Win32 somoto something and can't remember the other one). Haven't seen any problem today so I hope either the updated driver or the eset scan fixed the problem.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

It happened again so I will check the pdfs tomorrow and see what happens then. I did use MBAM but didn't find anything, though I had my pc connected to internet.Re-installing every driver atm.Should I uninstall and install or repair them?

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Didn't work , uninstalled some programms that might interfere still nothing happened, disabled windows defender which was left open still nothing happened. I am using Eset Smart Security 5 as an antivirus.Hope that hasn't something to do with the issue.Also you think the linksys and thomson have something to do with this? I wonder how my laptop keeps getting internet and my dekstop doesn't...

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I did this as well and still having the issue.
"Go to control panel, System and Security, click on System, the Device Manager on the left. Click on network adapters, and then left click on your PCI controller, then click properties, power management, and uncheck the box that allows Windows to disable the adapter to save power."
Also I see this "Keep Alive: Redial period 30 Seconds" in the linksys router which means it checks every 30 sec to see if I have a connection and it reinstablishes if I don't.Can that work wrong somehow? Also what should be the QoS type of the router? CBR,VBR or UBR?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
we will try to set your linksys router the same way mine is set on i have (auto dhcp,mtu auto,dhcp server enable number of user 50 dddns off mac address clone on advance routing nat on interface and & wireless) (page 2 bacic wirelees manual mixed network wide channel ssid broadcast on )wireless security key renewal 3600 seconds mac filter enable with the mac address i permit and apply (advance wireless settings ap off frame burst on basic rate all the other auto or default value ) (internet acces policy 1 policy name off acces restriction allow schedule days every time 24 hrs apply ) check you router for those settings and see if that help .

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I already had an issue understanding what you're saying in the first posts so could you edit your post as to which page is what and separate every different thing from the others? I have some of the settings you've written but I can't figure what or where are the rest from the chaos of this post.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
page 3 the security settings firewall on ,internet filter the nat redirection and web on are not having the check box on ,the vpnpassthrough all on ,page 4 internet acces policy set to 1 ,enter policy name off, acces restriction allow ,schedule days every time 24 hrs apply , page 5 applicatio & gaming my dmz is off, quality of service wmm support for wireless on acknolegement off internet acces priority off, post been edi with page number of the router settings (when you see on =enable and off =disable ) all those settins where made using the software provided by linksys for my router another thing you should see under status your mac adderss for local network and the same thing under wireless you should have both of the wirells mac address if they are detect by router .

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
First of all I have v1.01.08 firmware in case I should upgrade it.It seems there are some different settings here so if you could help me clarify which you mean it would be better.Here's what I have already (checked those you mentioned but not all are listed with the same name I think).

page 1
can't find auto dhcp
mtu is auto
dhcp server is enabled (auto where?)
number of users is 50
dddns is disabled
can't find anything about mac address clone
advanced routing nat is on
interface & wireless no where to be found ?

page 2 (usually keep wireless off)
if on then it is mixed
channel 11- 2.462GHz
SSID broadcast on
security mode (wpa-personal)
encryption TKIP
renewal 3600 seconds
wireless access - allow all
advanced wireless settings
authentication type auto (default)
control tx rate auto (default)
beacon interval 100 (default)
DTIM Interval 1 (default)
Fragmentation Threshold 2346 (default)
RTS Threshold 2347 (default)

page 3
Enabled firewall protection
"internet filter the nat redirection and web on are not having the check box on" where are those?
No filter proxy/java applets/cookies/activeX
Block anonymous internet requests
VPN PassThrough
IPSec Enabled
PPPoE Enabled
PPTP enabled
L2TP enabled

page 4
internet access policy 1 ()
status disable
Policy name is blank
Everything else is greyed out due to it being disabled but if I change it I have to enter a policy name.

page 5
DMZ is disabled
QoS is disabled
If QoS enabled it has FTP,HTTP,Telnet,SMTP,POP3 for high priority, and 3 Specific Port# for low priority.Should I enable it?

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

I have the exact same settings with the difference of VPI 8 ,VCI 35 , and keep alive 30 seconds instead of Connect on demand.
EDIT : I am trying to figure if it's a conflict between the linksys and the eset smart security 5.I did those 3 actions on the eset but could those really be the the cause of the whole problem?
1)http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2888&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1366244427305
2)http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2887
3)I was getting "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet” message the Personal firewall log" from RaidCall which could lead to it not functioning properly (and games as well) so did what it says here too with 2 IP addresses.
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2274&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1366244427305
EDIT No.2: Nope , didn't fix it.