[SOLVED] Computer making a weird noise, near cpu

CharlesEE

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Hello

My computer is making a weird noise near the Cpu , its like a clicking, rattling noise , started a while back then stopped for about 6 months and now its back
I have stopped all my fans in the system and it still does it.
Im running a i7 4790K cpu with corsair H100i cooling and it seems its a constant 100C while idle which is a problem in my opinion, any help would be nice !

Last edited:
Solution
Well today its making a new noise, like a birds chipping noise or a mouse squeeking, guess a new cooler is a must now lol :D
It could be both, air bubbles and a failing pump.
If I were you, I would remove the heat plate, drain it and then refill it with distilled water and see if the sound goes away.
You could clean micro fins and the the rubber gasket if they appear dirty.

You could test it, by turning it on without mounting it on the CPU.
The water pump on top of the CPU could be causing the noise.
The water pump could be damaged or as time goes by the liquid evaporates creating more air bubbles, which causes more noise and higher temps.
Where is the AIO placed in the case?
Which PC case do you have?

CharlesEE

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
The water pump on top of the CPU could be causing the noise.
The water pump could be damaged or as time goes by the liquid evaporates creating more air bubbles, which causes more noise and higher temps.
Where is the AIO placed in the case?
Which PC case do you have?
I have a Corsair 500R mid tower case
AIO is placed at the top of the case
There isnt any visual damage to the cooler or any other parts in the computer

The sound disappeares when tilting the computer to its left side by 30 or so degrees
It appears there is a lot
The sound disappeares when tilting the computer to its left side by 30 or so degrees
The air bubbles are moving from the water pump to the radiator.
Since your radiator is placed on top, there shouldn't be that much air trapped inside to cause 100° C on idle, unless a lot of liquid had evaporated.
How old is that AIO?

CharlesEE

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
It appears there is a lot

The air bubbles are moving from the water pump to the radiator.
Since your radiator is placed on top, there shouldn't be that much air trapped inside to cause 100° C on idle, unless a lot of liquid had evaporated.
How old is that AIO?
The AIO is 6 years and 1 month old, also anothe question regarding the AIO is there like any maintance to be done with it ? like changeing the liquid or something like that ?

The AIO is 6 years and 1 month old, also anothe question regarding the AIO is there like any maintance to be done with it ? like changeing the liquid or something like that ?
It is a seal system, but you could try taking the heat plate off, clean the inner cooling fins with alcohol and a brush then fill it again with coolant.
Make sure it is sealed properly, so it won't leak and damage other componentes.

CharlesEE

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
It is a seal system, but you could try taking the heat plate off, clean the inner cooling fins with alcohol and a brush then fill it again with coolant.
Make sure it is sealed properly, so it won't leak and damage other componentes.
i thought so, guess better not mess with it, if it work it works i guess :p
i posted a video too with the sound any thoughts on that ?

CharlesEE

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
I saw the video and heard the sound.
Well, isn't quite working.
You need to replace the cooler.
Any ideas why is it doing it ? Because of lack of water or the pump is just outdated ? Just asking because its been a on and off thing for the past three years, and why is it stopping when i tilt the computer, like shouldnt it still be doing it if something were broken ?

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
You can try to fill it again, by dismouting the cold plate. Use distilled water. Automotive pre-mixed coolant is better since those aios have mixed metals and need anti-corrosion liquids

On the other hand i had a new ddc pump making that noise before. the impeller lacked balance. trashed the impeler and kept the rest as spare parts

Well today its making a new noise, like a birds chipping noise or a mouse squeeking, guess a new cooler is a must now lol :D
It could be both, air bubbles and a failing pump.
If I were you, I would remove the heat plate, drain it and then refill it with distilled water and see if the sound goes away.
You could clean micro fins and the the rubber gasket if they appear dirty.

You could test it, by turning it on without mounting it on the CPU.

Solution