Computer not detecting my new video card

ohyou420

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hello there.

Currently I'm using GTX 550 Ti, but yesterday the new GTX 960 (4gb) arrived. But I couldn't make it work.

I plug it in, but when I turn on the PC it ignores the video card and uses the onboard one instead. Fans are spinning on the GPU though but the PC just won't use it.

In BIOS I have set that PCI-E should have the priority when choosing a graphics adapter. However it still uses the onboard one.

If I don't touch literally anything and just plug my old video card in, everything works as intended - my PC chooses the correct video card and everyone are happy.

I use HDMI if that matters, but I don't have any other cables. The new card requires two 6pin power connectors which I provide (I use the same one for my old card). And it's tightly sitting in the PCI-E slot, I've checked it twice.

How I understood that my PC ignores it: when I boot it up with the cable plugged into the video card, it says "no signal" the entire time (even at the very beginning, where should be BIOS). But if I, even without a reboot, plugging the monitor back to the onboard card, it suddenly works. Not even a reboot required. Therefore I made a conclusion that my PC won't detect the card at all.

I've tried to install the drivers or something, but those new nvidia drivers are awful and won't let me install the drivers for a hardware it can't detect. Also I doubt that it's the problem with my drivers because then the card would at least be able to show BIOS and things like that.

Sadly, I don't have another PC to test the video card on.

My rig:

Windows 7 64bit
ASRock h61de/s3
i3 2130
PSU 700W (bought recently)

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016
Have you tried connecting to the display port and or the DVI on the card?

You say that Primary Graphics Adapter is already set to PCI-E, it might also be worth disabling the IGPU Multiple Monitor setting (if you haven't).

ohyou420

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
> Have you tried connecting to the display port and or the DVI on the card?

No, I don't have those cables right now, so I can only use HDMI.

> You say that Primary Graphics Adapter is already set to PCI-E, it might also be worth disabling the IGPU Multiple Monitor setting (if you haven't).

I will try to do that later today, thanks.

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016

If you can borrow a different cable it is worth trying that, I had the experience with an R9 270 that it just wouldn't display on the cable I had (VGA with a DVI adapater). When I plugged in a proper DVI cable it came straight on, if I switched back to the other cable it stayed on, so clearly the PC just didn't like the cable on boot, even though the cable had been fine with an R7 260X.

ohyou420

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
> it might also be worth disabling the IGPU Multiple Monitor setting

I've checked twice today, it was disabled all along.

> If you can borrow a different cable it is worth trying that

My monitor doesn't have a DVI port. I've tried to run it with a VGA cable through a VGA-DVI adapter but no luck.

> Have you tried updating your motherboard's BIOS?

Yes, but it turned out there are no updates to be installed. The BIOS is up to date.