Computer not detecting new graphics card

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I've recently installed an Asus HD 7770 Direct CU graphics card in my PC. It is connected to a PCI express slot and is powered by a 6 pin power connected. The power LED on the card is green. I cannot see the graphics card under Display Adapters in Device Manager, and when I try to install the drivers that came with it I get the error 'Please install VGA cards of ASUS'.
I've checked in the BIOS that the first graphics card to be used is the one connected to the PCI express slot, but no joy. I've also booted in Linux and cannot see the card when I run lspci.
The power supply meets the required specifications of the card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Apologies for lack of details.

The slot is only labelled as 'PCI Express'. How can I check whether it is 3.0?
The motherboard is a PCCHIPS P17G.
I'm running 32 bit Windows Vista.
I have 4 GB of RAM.

I've just upgraded from an ATI Radeon card that I've been using for about four years without problems. I don't have any other graphics cards to try..

Please let me know if other information might be useful.

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
That board contains a 1.0 slot not 3.0. 3.0 cards in a1.0 slot can be problematic...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ogflUofxGM_fsAT3_IC4Cw&url=http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1827823/pci-cards-work-pci-slot.html&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHkb0jeGeHUz3MIOaqfAKRSOgVpxA

You can also Google the topic for more examples and info

Best bet would be to upgrade your board. That board is quite dated to begin with

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks minerva. The machine itself is over six years old. Looks like this has unfortunately gone from an upgrade to one component to a new PSU and motherboard!

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hey elo96, I thought of one last ditch effort you can try to make your current video card compatible with your board, it may or may not work but it might be worth it to try.

Ensure that all your drivers are up to date...http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=403&DetailName=Driver&MenuID=7&LanID=0

Note sure if that is the exact revision of your board but I think it is..double check

In some cases updating the bios of your board may work as well

Might as well try before considering dishing out money for a new set-up

Regardless, if you get it working or not you will take a performance hit because PCIe 1.0 slots have far less bandwidth than the 3.0 slots in which the card was designed for.

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks very much for the recommendation. I've ended up exchanging the card for a pci 16x compatible one. I'm not currently planning on an overhaul, just was after an improvement on my old card. I'll post back once I've tried it.

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Ok, still no joy. I exchanged the card for this one http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/56585/Sapphire-ATi-Radeon-HD-7770-1GB-Flex, which has a min requirement of PCI-E x16. The computer still can't see the card.

I've also tried reinserting my old card and removing the drivers for it. And looks like my bios is already up to date. Could it be significant that I'm upgrading from another ATI Radeon card?

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
That is what I thought you said but I just wanted to be sure. So we know it is not a busted slot.

Just to recap: your Bios and drivers are up to date and this card is definitely compatible with PCIex16, despite it being designed for a 2.0 (I mention that because 3.0 and 2.0 have very few problems with backwards compatibility, the issue is 1 and the spec sheet of the card explains the benefits of PCIe 3.0)

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Always best to check!

Bios is up to date according to CPUID.

Although the interface type of the card is PCIe 2.0, it does specify that it is also compatible with PCI-E x16.

elo96

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

They're both AMD 7770, but the Sapphire is PCIe 2.0, not 3.0. I had some vague idea that it was the same internals but different connections or something. Hardware isn't really my area of expertise!

minerva330

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
All right well you need to find some detailed specs for both of those cards and compare everything, i.e., most importantly bus width/bit-rate. I am willing to bet that its all the same.

You could also just call the tech support of your board manufacture and see what they say