Specs

MB: Auros Z390 Pro
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
RAM: DDR4 2 x16gb 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
Processor: i7 9700K LG1151
SSD: Samsung SSD 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle OC 16gb

I think my GPU might be bad.

So i just upgraded from a CX750M PSU and Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming GPU to a RM1000x and a 4080. After installing the new PSU and GPU the motherboard would flash once but not power on. I tested my PSU with the "paper clip" test, it failed so I bought a new one (another RM1000x) and tested it. The new unit passed before installing it, the fan turned on so I know it's good. With the new PSU installed my PC still didn't turn on, but the mother board still flashed once. If i remove the GPU and plug a display into the motherboard's onboard graphics card, the PC will turn on. The Z390 Pro board has 3 PCIe slots. If I insert the GPU into the third slot without the power connector attached to it, the GPU will light up and the fans will spin while running the computer with a monitor from the motherboards onboard graphics card. Now if i plug the power connector into the GPU and press the power button, my PC will not turn on but the motherboard will still flash. I've tried using the GPU to PSU connector that comes with the RM1000x and a cooler master 12vhpwer angled connector ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC2JL3T5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ). Is the GPU bad? Why would attaching the power connector to the GPU prevent my PC from turning on? I've got a corsair power cable coming tomorrow, but I've got a feeling it isn't going to work.

Thanks in advance.

What do the status LEDs in the lower right corner of the motherboard do when you're trying to boot with the new GPU properly plugged into power?

Also have you checked with your old GPU just to make sure that's still working (eliminate motherboard issue).

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
Hiya, is that cooler master 12vhpwr adapter even compatible with the rm1000 power supply while being plugged directly into it?

Just because it can be plugged in doesn't mean that its pinned correctly for a rm1000 power supply as it's a different brand therefore different internal connections.

And did you use that cooler master adapter plugged into the gfx card and into the rm1000 before trying the original extension that came with gfx card.

Chances are the gfx card is toast now.

Looking on that amazon link it states it's only compatible with the 2 power supplies, 5th pic down on left.

jgiugli1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Hiya, is that cooler master 12vhpwr adapter even compatible with the rm1000 power supply while being plugged directly into it?

Just because it can be plugged in doesn't mean that its pinned correctly for a rm1000 power supply as it's a different brand therefore different internal connections.

And did you use that cooler master adapter plugged into the gfx card and into the rm1000 before trying the original extension that came with gfx card.

Looking on that amazon link it states it's only compatible with the 2 power supplies, 5th pic down on left.
I unfortunately followed a link posted in another thread and just bought it while hoping for the best. Fortunately, the card is not toast and now working as it should with the corsair power connector.

jgiugli1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014

What do the status LEDs in the lower right corner of the motherboard do when you're trying to boot with the new GPU properly plugged into power?

Also have you checked with your old GPU just to make sure that's still working (eliminate motherboard issue).
Ironically my old GPU now brings up a blue screen saying I need to run recovery and my PC is damaged, but the 4080 is working as it should. I'm going to try to attach a clop of the blinking lights on my motherboard.