Computer not recognizing second video card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ncline09

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes their time to help.

( built this computer myself about a month ago using new/old parts )
System specs:

OPERATING SYSTEM:Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Cpu : intel® Core™ i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
CPU SPEED: 3.69 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 15.98 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 x2
VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 1gig x2
Mobo : P9X79 pro
Psu: 600 watts ( I had to send my corsair 850 watt in for repair since it blew on me a couple days ago, ripped my 600 watt out of old pc to keep everything running till it returns.)
( newst drivers)

Issue : I salvaged my old pny geforce 460 gtx out of my old rig and was using it in my new one with no issues. Today I installed a evga geforce 460 gtx ( both 1gig) hoping to run SLI ( i connected both using the sli brdige that came w/ my mobo, and installed it in the second pci-e 16x slot) BUT my computer is only recognizing 1 of the cards.

attempts made to fix : I've tried both cards in the first pci-e 16x slot and both of them work alone. Ive gone on nvidias website and ran their driver updater which removers old drivers and automatically updates my new drivers.

The fans work for both cards so I know the second one is getting power but when I go to the device manager I only see one card under the display adapters. Ive also tried running this driver finer program someone linked on this forum but it doesnt have the lga 2011 boards on it.

Thanks again. This is the first time I've made a post so If you need anymore info let me know.