Computer not starting

Zankuu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I know I've seen this problem all over the forums and google, but I've been to all of them and none of them have pointed me in the direction I'm looking.
We had a bad blizzard a week ago and i think it may have done something to my comp, because i usually have it on hibernate, but after the power went out at our place, I went to turn my computer on and right before the motherboard does its beeping noise, it shuts down and restarts. It would do this forever if i let it. Seeing how my power supply is old and low wattage, i immediately thought it to be the culprit and ordered a new one from Newegg.
After installing the new psu, nothing changed. I reset the mobo battery, and got the computer to stay powered on, but it still wont do anything; just the fans run. After that I did everything all of the other threads told me; pulled out the in the mobo, changed the battery in the mobo, tested each stick of memory separately, cleaned the memory pins, pulled the whole computer apart and rebuilt it while thoroughly cleaning it, and tried to use my room mates memory in my computer and still no go.
When there are no memory cards in the slots, the computer does its crazy beeps and shuts down and when there is not graphics card in there it does the long beep 2 short beep code, so it seems to me like the mobo itself is working.
Ive made sure that all of my power connectors have been installed properly and there is no virtually no dust in my case or components. I think I have narrowed it down to the graphics card or a faulty PCI slot on my mobo, but I dont have an onboard video card or 2+ PCI Express x16 slots to test this on.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

PQI TURBO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 65W
Dynatron P985 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
XFX PVT71PUDD3 GeForce 8600GS 256MB 256-bit

-- I know the new psu is overkill, but im planning on upgrading components in the new future

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
It certainly sounds like either the motherboard, processor, or video card (least likely)...

Do you have any spare processors laying around that would fit that socket MB?

Would it be worth it for you to upgrade either the MB or CPU.

ex. Buy a better CPU, see if that fixes the system - then you know the old CPU is damaged, sell it on eBay AS-IS.

If you want to do some more research, look into the beep code errors. Find out what they mean for your model MB. Pop over to the Gigabyte MB forums to see if they can help.

From now on, be sure you have a good surge protector so that this doesn't happen again.

Zankuu

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Well when I plug in the video card, nothing happens, so its as if the motherboard recognizes that something is in the socket, but the video card isnt responding. Likewise, when there is no video card, the motherboard realizes it and beeps at me. I had my friend take my graphics card and try it in his computer and he said it wouldnt run, so I have one coming in tomorrow and will see what happens then.