[SOLVED] Computer ONLY freezes when NOT playing games!!!!

Dec 1, 2020
My computer has been randomly freezing for the past month or so. When I say freeze, I don't mean a complete freeze like with no mouse movement at all. I can still move the mouse freely, however I can only close one window and and anything else I have up will not close. When the freeze starts, audio will still play for about 5-10 mins and then it will stop. I've tried to shutdown or restart by going to the windows button then shutting down normally, but that doesn't work. The only way to shut down is to hold the pc power button.

Things I've tried:
-fresh install of windows 10 64bit
-changing out RAM
-changed power settings to High Performance
-updated BIOS

PC Specs:
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B-450F gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair CM750X Bronze
RAM: 32GB DDR4 Trident G.Skillz NEO
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x72 AIO

My temps at idle without anything open except for CPUID HWMonitor which is how I check my temps, CPU temps which range from 38 Celsius to around 44 Celsius. I don't know how to overclock so everything is how it is from the box. I'm not sure what to do at this point anymore besides slowly buying new parts to see if it's a hardware issue. Any tips or troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

Solution
The problem is with nzxt cam software, i have the same thing. You have to turn off the cam software in the windows tray by right click and exit

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? You should be in 20H2 for the OS version. Speaking of version, what version of your BIOS are you currently on? Frequency for the rams you're working with?

If you're working with an M.2 SSD(or more) make sure that they've got the latest firmware update on them.

Dec 1, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? You should be in 20H2 for the OS version. Speaking of version, what version of your BIOS are you currently on? Frequency for the rams you're working with?

If you're working with an M.2 SSD(or more) make sure that they've got the latest firmware update on them.
Im not sure what you mean by create an installer for windows 10 using the windows media creation tool. I am on version 20H2 for the OS. My BIOS version is 3103. My RAM frequency is 2133Mhz. And how do I update RAM firmware? I thought RAM didn't have drivers or anything like that.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020
The problem is with nzxt cam software, i have the same thing. You have to turn off the cam software in the windows tray by right click and exit

Solution
Dec 1, 2020
I
Interesting, I’ll definitely try that after work. I looked on google to see if others are having the same issue with CAM and the first Reddit post describes exactly what my pc is experiencing. Thank you!

Dec 2, 2020
I

Interesting, I’ll definitely try that after work. I looked on google to see if others are having the same issue with CAM and the first Reddit post describes exactly what my pc is experiencing. Thank you!

Its honestly sad for how much their products cost (definitely premium level in computer components world), the best software they can offer is this atrocity which is cam. So many problems with it that exist for 3-4 years now. They simply don't care. Please submit this in the feedback if you find out this is the problem as only way to get this resolved is with more people complaining

Dec 1, 2020
Its honestly sad for how much their products cost (definitely premium level in computer components world), the best software they can offer is this atrocity which is cam. So many problems with it that exist for 3-4 years now. They simply don't care. Please submit this in the feedback if you find out this is the problem as only way to get this resolved is with more people complaining
I've had the CAM software closed for about 4 hours now and it hasn't froze yet. Will keep it off for the next couple days to see if this solves it then i'll submit a ticket to NZXT. Got high hopes this solved it! Thank you for your help and everyone above. Will come back with an update in a few days.

Dec 1, 2020
I think it definitely the CAM software. It hasn't froze in a couple days now without any games running. Only Twitch/Youtube. Thank you everyone above for all your help. I will be submitting a ticket to NZXT in hopes they will fix their software. Super happy I don't have to spend money to upgrade any hardware now!