Question Computer only posts after a few reboots

Nov 28, 2019
Hi,

So I have this really weird issue with my PC.

Each time I turn on my powerbrick and press the powerbutton on my case, the fans spin but the mobo doesn't post. I press my power button for a few seconds to shut it off again. Mostly it takes around 2-3 times of rebooting before it posts, but sometimes even 10 or more. My best guess would be a Mobo issue.

My specs:
CPU: i5-6500
MOBO: Gigabyte B150M-d3h
RAM: 8 GB HyperX Fury DDR4-3200
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6G
HDDs: A Seagate Barracuda 1TB and a WD Blue 500GB
SSD: 120GB HyperX Fury SSD
PSU: Sharkoon WPM600 Bronze

Notes: I reset my CMOS and I tested the PSU with an older PC, which draws more current. I'm also on DVI with IGPU (Turning IGPU off didn't make a difference) and DP on my 2060.

Any further ideas?

Dec 1, 2019
Hey, passing by to say I've been having the same problem, and it's been getting worse. I have tried turning on the PC without ram, without the GPU, I have tried reseating every connector, be it power or data, I have tried disconnecting my drives, and I have tried "clearing out" the energy in the board by pressing the power button without being plugged into the wall. Also taking out the battery and and shorting out the CMOS clear (I lost the jumper). It just turns on whenever it damn pleases, and I suspect something is wrong with my windows now, since it froze during startup today.

My build is old at this point (second gen i7 and z68 motherboard), so I'm fairly certain either something with my hardware is about to die (mobo, cpu, psu), or I have an issue I found out is possible to happen, through research. Apparently the CMOS battery can cause this problem where the PC is just stuck with high fan spin (I noticed the fans are louder than when it turns on normally), doesn't shut off, and doesn't post. You just have to check the model (in my case, it's CR2032, and maybe that's the model for every motherboard), and buy one of those, preferably from a quality brand. That's about it. I'm doing this tomorrow, fingers crossed it fixes my issue.

If you wanna ask me something, ask away, but I'll probably know as much as you do.

Nov 28, 2019
Hey, passing by to say I've been having the same problem, and it's been getting worse. I have tried turning on the PC without ram, without the GPU, I have tried reseating every connector, be it power or data, I have tried disconnecting my drives, and I have tried "clearing out" the energy in the board by pressing the power button without being plugged into the wall. Also taking out the battery and and shorting out the CMOS clear (I lost the jumper). It just turns on whenever it damn pleases, and I suspect something is wrong with my windows now, since it froze during startup today.

My build is old at this point (second gen i7 and z68 motherboard), so I'm fairly certain either something with my hardware is about to die (mobo, cpu, psu), or I have an issue I found out is possible to happen, through research. Apparently the CMOS battery can cause this problem where the PC is just stuck with high fan spin (I noticed the fans are louder than when it turns on normally), doesn't shut off, and doesn't post. You just have to check the model (in my case, it's CR2032, and maybe that's the model for every motherboard), and buy one of those, preferably from a quality brand. That's about it. I'm doing this tomorrow, fingers crossed it fixes my issue.

If you wanna ask me something, ask away, but I'll probably know as much as you do.
What I'm guessing is that for some odd reason the motherboard doesn't want to post. But I have a maybe solution, not sure if it will work long term. Anyhow, what I did is put my PC in sleep mode, shut down the power. The next day I'll turn on the power, after that I press the power button, no response, so I reboot it holding down the power button, after that it works fine.