Question Computer Overheating even if its at regular temps

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
I've got an issue where my computer seems to crash from overheating even if it's at regular temperatures Like it blackout dies. I've had this issue before, That was solved when someone said my cooler wasn't nearly enough for my Cpu which was correct and did fix the issue immensely. Now it only seemed to happen under mass stress like a demanding game, But even then should it really even happen? Anyway, now it's doing it again but while I'm just watching youtube videos or have more than 4 tabs open I'm starting to think I have terrible airflow or something isn't being cooled properly. If you need any more info just ask and thanks in advance

Specs:
Win 10

NZXT KRAKEN X53

CPU: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K

RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 32GB

GPU: Nvidia 2080 TI 11GB

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H570-PLUS motherboard

Power Supply: Corsair TX850M, 850W PSU

SSD: Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R Midi Tower

Colif

Win 11 Master
what temps are you getting?
what are you using to track temps? HWINFO might show more - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

case doesn't seem to allow much air in the front, have you tried removing front panel to see if it helps?
https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-110R

Now it only seemed to happen under mass stress like a demanding game, But even then should it really even happen? Anyway, now it's doing it again but while I'm just watching youtube videos

I assume AIO is exhaust? in top of case? sucking all the heat from gpu in when you play games or watch videos... it has its down sides if the intakes aren't getting much air and creating any airflow inside case..

All that heat has to go somewhere. generally up, especially if you have 2 exhaust fans right over it. AIO is sucking in heat from GPU. Thats why CPU crashes as AIO can only do so much.

I have AIO as intake at front of the case, but it might not work so well in your case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
what are you using to track temps? HWINFO might show more - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

case doesn't seem to allow much air in the front, have you tried removing front panel to see if it helps?
https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-110R

I assume AIO is exhaust? in top of case? sucking all the heat from gpu in when you play games or watch videos... it has its down sides if the intakes aren't getting much air and creating any airflow inside case..

All that heat has to go somewhere. generally up, especially if you have 2 exhaust fans right over it. AIO is sucking in heat from GPU. That's why CPU crashes as AIO can only do so much.

I have AIO as intake at front of the case, but it might not work so well in your case.
I have the AIO at the front with the radiator pointing inwards, I was told by the guy that built my computer in the first place that I should probably have it like that. I've never tried to mount it to the top as I never assumed it fit, I have the original three fans from the case that I could put at the front so I could test to see if it fits on the top

Removing the front of the case does seem to help, I haven't had a crash since but this could change since there usually are pretty long periods between crashes

Worst case ill have to buy a new case 😔

Here's a video of how my Comp looks (terrible quality but it's the best I can do)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Where are the 3 original fans now? One thing you could try is to put one of them at top of case above CPU as exhausts to help keep temps inside down. It won't help the CPU temps directly but could help remove heat inside case from the GPU.

I wonder if having the AIO fans inside case instead of where I assume they are, facing the glass front, would help at all.
Problem is air flow, the 2 fans are stuck between radiator and front of case and may not be getting much air.
Added bonus of having AIO fans on pull is you see RGB fans inside case, its what I did.
1nhd1Od.jpg

Guess if you run without front on it works. But it doesn't look as good.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, is this really a cooling problem when the PC crashes from YT or having few tabs open?

I will say, with the Gungnir 110R's design, the front is the worst spot for an AIO radiator compared to the other 2.

Here's a video of how my Comp looks (terrible quality but it's the best I can do)
It would've been smoother if the glass panel was removed, and you just took a few pictures at different angles.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Umm, is this really a cooling problem when the PC crashes from YT or having few tabs open?
It could be, depends on resolution he watching videos at. Like to know temp of the liquid in the AIO. Its always possible its not heat. It is why I asked about hwinfo, to see if it was true.

with its design, there really isn't a good spot for a radiator. As with the questionable airflow at front, the intake fans will always struggle so any heat would go into a radiator if mounted at top.

other 2 locations? its a 240mm AIO, only spots it fits are the front and top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It could be, depends on resolution he watching videos at. Like to know temp of the liquid in the AIO. Its always possible its not heat. It is why I asked about hwinfo, to see if it was true.

with its design, there really isn't a good spot for a radiator. As with the questionable airflow at front, the intake fans will always struggle so any heat would go into a radiator if mounted at top.

other 2 locations? its a 240mm AIO, only spots it fits are the front and top.
The top looks like an ok spot for a 240mm AIO - not great, because 2080Ti below, but that could be helped with the removal of the rear fan; the AIO can get cool air from there now. [I've played with it some. Removing the fan is more beneficial than actually flipping it to an intake.]

I was talking in general about AIO locations. Here, front/top/rear... the front is by far the worst, followed by the rear, and then the top.

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
New case is better idea. open front. since he has an AIO I won't suggest a torrent case. I haven't looked at new cases for a while. something like this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/pop/pop-air/white-tg-clear/
I'd 80% agree with this, I've had the front off literally minutes since it was first suggested and it's been running smoother than any, I've been pressuring it (not actual test just doing what made it crash usually) and it's barely broken past 45 Celcius. Funny I had this thought but I presumed that the holes in the side it had would supply it with the air it needed.

Any case suggestions would be welcome. And if you are able to tell me where I should place my AIO in that case I would be grateful

I'm not gonna close this thread just yet since I've just been testing this for 1 and a half days. I'll make sure it's fine for two and a half then close the thread

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
The top looks like an ok spot for a 240mm AIO - not great, because 2080Ti below, but that could be helped with the removal of the rear fan; the AIO can get cool air from there now. [I've played with it some. Removing the fan is more beneficial than actually flipping it to an intake.]

I was talking in general about AIO locations. Here, front/top/rear... the front is by far the worst, followed by the rear, and then the top.
New case is better idea. open front. since he has an AIO I won't suggest a torrent case. I haven't looked at new cases for a while. something like this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/pop/pop-air/white-tg-clear/

I do also wanna thank you both, You help selflessly so thanks :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
The fans may not be able to get a lot of air from side holes or even the vent at top of front. With no front its got no obstructions.

I don't have same CPU but mine idles on 40c most days. If its summer its about 5c warmer. My PC pointed at a window and is closer to it than I am.

if you got the case I showed you, it has 5 fan mounting points
2 x 120/140mm on front
2x120mm on top
1 x 120mm on back.

realistically you could replace front fans with AIO and not need the two you took out as it comes with 3 fans, 2 in front and 1 in rear.

it seems to have better airflow than mine

thre are 2 variants and mulitple color choices, I just chose white as its probably what i would get. XL are larger, you probably don't need those and the mini.,.. is smaller. I haven't seen any videos of the mini as its a new case, they only released this week.

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
The fans may not be able to get a lot of air from side holes or even the vent at top of front. With no front its got no obstructions.

I don't have same CPU but mine idles on 40c most days. If its summer its about 5c warmer. My PC pointed at a window and is closer to it than I am.

if you got the case I showed you, it has 5 fan mounting points
2 x 120/140mm on front
2x120mm on top
1 x 120mm on back.

realistically you could replace front fans with AIO and not need the two you took out as it comes with 3 fans, 2 in front and 1 in rear.

it seems to have better airflow than mine

thre are 2 variants and mulitple color choices, I just chose white as its probably what i would get. XL are larger, you probably don't need those and the mini.,.. is smaller. I haven't seen any videos of the mini as its a new case, they only released this week.
Hi, it's been a while so I'm updating this, As it has only crashed right now twice while trying to download stuff. I have yet to buy a new case but removing the front seems to help an incredible amount

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do the crashes cause a BSOD? or PC just freezes?

If you get BSOD,
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

PC can breath now glass isn't blocking it. I want them to produce perforated glass... then they can make entire PC glass all I care.

bee_feet

Prominent
Feb 17, 2022
Do the crashes cause a BSOD? or PC just freezes?

If you get BSOD,
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
PC can breath now glass isn't blocking it. I want them to produce perforated glass... then they can make entire PC glass all I care.
It's not even a BSOD, My Comp just straight up goes black. Like its lost power, I know it has something to do with Heat or overheating cause it always gets better with new ways to cool it down (like taking the case front off and getting a better CPU cooler). I feel like I have built my pc wrong or I need to put my fans in a different way, Possibly the cooling is too weak. I'm super confused. It is not even under duress it does it anymore. Now it just feels random

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
What goes black? Monitor? RGB? PC turn off completely?

Win 10

NZXT KRAKEN X53

CPU: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K

RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 32GB

GPU: Nvidia 2080 TI 11GB

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H570-PLUS motherboard

Power Supply: Corsair TX850M, 850W PSU

SSD: Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R Midi Tower

still have front off?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know it has something to do with Heat or overheating cause it always gets better with new ways to cool it down (like taking the case front off and getting a better CPU cooler).
your case isn't helping. The "best" place for the AIO in case is exhaust since you have no intake if front is on.
But that isn't an ideal place for it with an 2080 TI underneath it.
So you have it on front. but there is no intakes on front, so you took front off.
the lack of airflow in its base design doesn't help you.

you might rant to try putting AIO as exhaust on top, and put the original intake fans back on front, it should have more than enough air blowing in front with front off. that would help