Question Computer posts but doesn't boot unless restarted 100 times

Apr 10, 2021
I am at a complete loss on where to go from here. I built my system back in December of last year and every thing worked fine for a few months. Recently I have been having an issue where the computer will post but when it loads the operating system it hangs. Sometimes I can restart it and it will come back up, other times I have to restart it over 100 times, I wish I was exaggerating. The other night it took 2.5 hours of turning my computer on and off for it to finally load the operation system. I'm pretty sure I can rule out the any SSDs as the problem persists when trying to boot a live usb that I know is good. If I try to load windows then Linux I get a few mce codes:

mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 8: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000
mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1f80147a265b6 MISC d0130fff0000
mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:870f10 TIME 1618007138 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 8701021

I've done a bit of research on these and I'm getting a lot of mixed messages.

Once the computer boots its stable. Not a single error, I can do graphics processing, gaming, video editing, and nothing causes it to crash. I can even reboot and switch to windows or linux. The problem only occurs when the computer has been turned off some length of time.

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6g
RAM: Team T-Force Dark Z 32 GB
GPU: Asus dual radeon rx 550 xt 4gb
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 650w

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Once the computer boots its stable........................................ can even reboot and switch to windows or linux. ........................The problem only occurs when the computer has been turned off some length of time.

It sounds like a dry solder-joint on the motherboard somewhere. When the PC eventually heats up, contact is made and everything works.

To test that theory, the next time it fails to start, don't keep trying but just leave it on for an hour or so. Does it then start up fine?

Apr 10, 2021
That was my first thought. A bit more history on the problem. The first time I just reseated the ram and it booted up fine. After that it seemed more random, but the timing seems to grow. At first it was like 10 reboots, then 30, 50,70. After that I decided to reflash the bios, it booted right up. I left it running for about 2 weeks straight. After that I ran into the 2.5 hour restart fest. I've tried letting it run for about 45 minutes and booting, I could try longer, but that didn't seem to help in the past its almost like a cruel joke and there's some counter I've got to hit. I suppose I could buy an inexpensive mobo and swap everything over and see what happens.

Apr 10, 2021
Well I purchased a new motherboard and put all my parts in it and the problem persisted. I called a friend and had him bring his rig down and started testing components one by one When I replaced the graphics card my computer would post and boot. I RMAd the graphics card and they just replaced it with a different one. I wasn't given any details on what exactly was wrong with the GPU. All I can tell you is my computer worked with a different graphics card and now works with the one they replaced my old one with.