Computer randomly crashes when playing games.

Aug 10, 2018
As mentioned in the title, I'm having issues with my computer crashing, seemingly at random. It isn't on any one specific game, and notably, this issue only started after doing a factory reset on the computer several months ago. I've been putting up with it until now, but I'm getting real tired of it.

When this happens, the entire computer freezes up, nothing moving on my monitor, and as for audio, it keeps playing, but only as half second blips of sound with a good full second between each. After about ten seconds, the screen goes black, and the only choice I have is to hold down the power button to shut off the computer. The games that this happens most often on are as follows: Skyrim: Special Edition, Subnautica, and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. I'm sure it's happened on other games as well, but I can't remember exactly which ones.

As for how often the crashes happen, sometimes it's multiple times per day, sometimes even multiple times in an hour, and others, it goes multiple days without any incident at all. There's no specific trigger for this happening, from what I can tell, but I can say that Subnautica is the game where this occurs most frequently, usually only letting me get about ten minutes into playing before it happens, though it has been some time since I last attempted to run the game.

Of course, this only ever happens when I'm playing a game, and as mentioned, this only started happening after we were forced to do a factory reset on the computer. Before that, I could run any game I wanted for hours and hours on end with no problems.

Any suggestions?